cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have an NWDI track (Track A) setup with ESS/MSS with which we have done some changes to the standard ESS DCs. Now I want to duplicate the landscape by having 3 separate systems(R/3 and Portal) and also create a new track (Track B)with ESS/MSS components.

So essentially I will have Dev1, QA1 and PRD1 on track A and Dev2, QA2, and PRD1 on track B

Can I copy the Track A to Track B so that I have all the changes on ESS Dcs in both the tracks? If yes how do I do that and if no are there any solutions/approaches.

Regards,

J

Edited by: Paddy James on Oct 18, 2010 9:48 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paddy Jammes,

this can be done without big problems.

I would suggest to proceed as follows:

1. Create the new target track. Just select the source track in landscape configurator and use save as to create the target track. Choose to do it without runtime systems. With this you will copy the SCS and configurations one by one.

2. If you have an extended security concept in place. Create the Groups and so on for the target track.

3. Until now your target track is empty. So first checkin all the required SCs for the ESS SC to the target track. Like JTECHF and so on. If you are not sure what SCs that are check the "required SCs" filter in the track.

4. go to the source track. Open/switch to the Transport studio. Go to assembly tab. check if all changes you have done are assembled. If so goto 5. If not assemble the ESS SC again.

5. In assembly there is a big button "forward from history". Click it! on the top select your target track, well as target track Select the ESS SC and forward it.

6. Change to the Development Import queue of the target track. You should find the forwarded ESS SC+ all required SCs there now. Do an import of all SCs

7. You can check if everything is ok. With DTRs compartment comparision tool. compare ESS source(track) CONS/active with target (tracks) DEV/inactive. Should be the same if everything.

8. Import to CONS and you are done.

9. Of course you have to assemble the package in the target track as well. so be careful with version numbers and so on.

10. If you want to synchronize the tracks. create a repair track connection from the source to the target track. this way you can import all the cahnges of the source to the target track as well..

Hope this will help you solve your challenge

Kind regards

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi jan,

Thanks for the elaborate step by step procedure. I had one question, when can I add the new runtime systems to the target track?

And can both the tracks have the same PRODUCTION system as part of their runtime systems. Your answer is much appreciated.

Regards,

J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

you can add the systems any time in the procedure. But i usually add them when all imports are done.

You can have a runtime system in multiple tracks. But it can lead to problems. Maybe you should think about a delivery track for your Prod system.

Please find more infos about track design and problems with a Prod system in mulitple tracks in this blog:

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2006/03/30/best-practices-for-nwdi-track-design-for-ongoing-development

So long

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jan,

Sorry but I forgot to tell you that the track B will have ESS/MSS upgraded components. Like I said I have some customizations done using NWDI. Do I have to reapply the changes again after the upgrade? Is there any easier way of reapplying the changes. The Meta Model Comparison tool is not very clear.

Can you please help?

Thanks

James

Answers (0)