cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to read PDF file data by using Webdynpro Abap?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have an requirement, where customer will upload an PDF file on an application and i need to read some data from pdf file.

The pdf file contains only text data in tabular format.

In past i developed an application for uploading data from Excelshet by using WDA . But just wondering, whether it is possible to upload the data from Pdf file also. ( Also if not possible then what could be other way to read PDF file data in abap)

Regards

PG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes this is possible.

If you get the data (xstring) in your context you can extract the data. An example of this can be found in the report FP_PDF_TEST_03.

Regards,

Roelof

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roelof,

Thanks for your reply.

When i am trying to run report FP_PDF_TEST_03, its asking for XML Data File. But i dont have XML data file.

What i have is, just an pdf file and who's data i want to read in an internal table.

Will please give some more light on this solution.

Regards

PG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PG,

I know, but the report does not need the XML file to extract the data.

Check the source of the report and you will see what you need to extract the data from the PDF.

Regards,

Roelof

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

FP_PDF_TEST_03 is a sample ABAP program to read pdf file and outputs XML file. it uses ABAP Funciton modules to do this.

You can look into DEMO_ADOBE_OFFLINE WDA program which might give you further directions.

Regards,

Pranav

ChrisPaine
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

NB - the "data" that is returned by these classes is the data as defined in an adobe form - it doesn't return the content of non-form PDF documents.

The PDF must be an interactive form ( although that doesn't restrict you to using the SAP process for creating the form is my understanding - but I could be wrong. )

Edit - I was wrong! ONLY PDF documents that have been created by the ADS can have data extracted using these classes. So unless you are using Adobe interactive forms - then you will get no value from this functionality - and if you're using AIF then you're probably just use the standard UI element

Edited by: Chris Paine on Oct 26, 2010 6:04 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for your input.

Answers (0)