cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SGEN is taking so much time to finish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I have installed SAP CRM 7.0 support release 1 with Microsoft SQL Server on Windows Server2003. and applied support pack also.I have started SGEN then It is showing around 2lakh objects.

SGEN is running since 50 hour and still it required 80 hour to be completed.

I have installed the same Server earlier also but it never took this much time to complete SGEN.

Is there any problem? why it is taking so much time??

Please give your valuable suggestion..

Thanks and Regards

Uttam Kumar

Basis Trainee

Bangalore.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fjhernanz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Uttam K,

I would say that the runtime of the gen jobs is heavily depending on the database performance of the system. All these jobs access the tables REPOSRC and REPOLOAD and some other administrative tables thus creating heavy database load.

So there are two option to be looked at:

1. If there are enough system resources like main memory, number of cpu AND enough SAP system resources like number of batch jobs and the database load is not near 100% THEN we could think about increasing the maximum number of batches to perform the generation. This is meant for all instances

2. If the runtime of the batch is the issue then a general look into DB performance is helpful with ST04, etc.. You can post another query in the 'SAP on Oracle' forum for a more detailed info about this.

Br,

Javier

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SGEN can be speed up by using parallel processes, you can configure RZ12 to assign as many processes as possible to the "parallel_generators" server group.

You can also speen up the process by spreading the load between more than 1 instance (if you have them)...

Regards

Juan

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Uttam Kumar, Can you please check on below two points and let me know.

1. Please check if all the table spaces have enough space ?

2. Pease check if the oraarch direcrtory is full or having less space. As during SGEN - objects get generated and archives are created frequently.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Amber S | ITL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amber,

I am using MS SQL Server not Oracle.

And All the table spaces have enough spaces

Thanks

Uttam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you selected the all your severs during SGEN? as SAP will calculate the load and craete as many as mutliple threads depends on your system configuration and ABAP WPs.

FYI: For a quicker execution, the load generator bases itself on a parallel processed procedure which incorporates available servers as much as possible. The default selection corresponds to the server used for this transaction and to the computers with the same type (MT: machine type). When you change the server selection, the servers you select must have the same machine type.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SGEN can take that much time. You can watch the progress via SGEN / Job monitoring. The Job log will be updated frequently. Every once in a while you should see some new status in there.

This is why I usually dont run SGEN, as many objects wil be generated which will never be used and enlarge the db...

Nesimi