Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usr\sap\sid file system planning

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently we are facing issues with this usr/sap/sid file system getting full often.Is there a way or an SAP recommedation

as what should the space alotted to this particular file system .Please let me know how to go about.

The system in PI 7.1 runs on AIX and db is DB2.

Database size: 6GB

usr/sap/sid space: 9 GB

biggest file system is interface: 50 GB

Edited by: balaji rajagopalan on Oct 18, 2010 9:06 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fjhernanz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm sure the following note will be of great help:

16513: File system is full - what do I do?

Br,

Javier

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

From your queries what I can understand that you are looking for a root cause of this frequent increase of file system space.

Finding files under /usr/sap/<SID> with du command , increasing /usr/sap/<SID> FS etc are indeed reactive approach. As per your concern, a proactive approach could be, to find out which files are largest contributors in terms of taking more space within /usr/sap/<SID>.

Apart from common abap log files,it could be adapter logs, default server trace files(check log config in nwa) etc are enabled for ESR,Integration Directory, runtime causing larger files. If these PI specific files are consuming the more space then you may have to diable the trace/logging accordingly.

You could refer the link below for checking certain PI specific trace files are enabled or logs are getting generated :-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/64/0b59010a65de44be4f26cb57b9580d/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/en/d6/49543b1e49bc1fe10000000a114084/frameset.htm

We do have a AIX/DB2 scenario and PI is running fine. So like to know which files are consuming more space in your /usr/sap/SID location.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Execute du -sh or other command to check the size & space for all directories present under /usr/sap/SID/* list the most consumed space folder / file.

Analyse the highest folder / subfolders / files look if this files are generated by archive method or log files under J2ee / cluster which can be put somewhere else and deleted to make space.

But if this files generate frequently then you have to add some more space to current mount point (adding 10 Gb more) as PI is concern.

Regards;

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

thank you all for all your replies.As such there is no guideline or rule which suggests that for a PI (dual stack) there has to be atleast this much space in usr/sap/sid ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The information you have mentioned already in the installation guide, I suggest you go thourgh the installation guide. I think page 66-67

former_member763005
Participant
0 Kudos

yes.we are already meeting the requirement in the master guide.In our case as the work directory files are growing dynamically

we are about to request for 100 gb of file system space and need a reason to justify this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you please paste the ls -l output from your work directory.

logon as <SID>adm and chnage direcotry to /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/work

execute ls -l|sort +4nr|more and paste the results.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only 2 solutions for this...

a) Make the filesystem bigger

b) Do your cleanup more often

Is there a way or an SAP recommedation as what should the space alotted to this particular file system

Usually the size is proportional to the usage.... if the activity in your box required extra space in the filesystem due traces or files been uploaded/dowloaded then you should consider adding extra space.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check whether the reorg jobs are executed periodically. Also u can have a process of removing the old job logs in the global directory.

Regards,

Varadharajan M