Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finished product as packaging material

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

Plz help. Many thanks.

Background: Product A is finished product and can be sold. Meanwhile, it can be used as packaging material for another finished product B. However, only B has selling price as customers only buy B.

Q1: Can product A be maintained as packaging material and finished product as well? Any impact on accounting?

Q2: If answer for Q1 is yes, can product A be used to create sales order together with B? You know, product A also need production. Production department want production requirements from sales orders (say Tcode MD04). Meanwhile, they're required to pack B with A before warehouse receives B.

Q3: If answer for Q1\2 is no, how to solve?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy,

It is very much possible to use FINISHED GOODS as PACKAGING MATERIALS also. However when you are creating the material master for such materials, you need to use the material type, which should be a combination of FERT and VERP. You really need to check both of these material types and include the characteristics of both in the new material type.

The costing part of the should be enabled after discussing with a CO consultant. Anyway no complexity is involved here and it is a straight case.

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnan,

Many thanks for your advice. Any update?

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cathy,

You only need to do the normal packaging material related masterdata maintanence and configurations. I created a query long ago and was answered by many people on packaging. I am giving you the link. Please go to the thread to know how to enable packing. Using this set up, you can do multilevel packaging or any kind of packaging you want.

Normal sales doesnt need any explanation here.

cathy_liang
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishnan,

Many thanks. However, woul you plz throw some light on my Q2?

You know, when product A is used as packaging material, how could production department know to produce A? In my view, either production department separately creates production order based on instruction outside SAP (i.e. place sales order for B only), or place special sales order for A (to instruct production department inside SAP).

Any better solutions?