cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We had a issue where when we maintain the mail host name we were receiving mails very delayed.Whereas when we place the IP address we receiving on time.Now the question is that does SAP directly connect to mail host server using SMTP plugin or else does it go via the OS.How does the communication happen.Ours is a ECC 6 system.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think it is because hostname need to be resolved by your DNS first and then it will route your mail where as when you will use ip address, it need not to resolve it. So, it is faster.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we are able to telnet into mailhost from the OS of the SAP system so it means that it resolving the host right.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, whenever you use hostname, first request will go to your company domain(DNS) to resolve it to ip address.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

So that means we were able to resolve the DNS right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you are correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

But Sunil we were recieveing mails quite late when we had a host name in the SMTP host rather than ip address.So does it mean everything is fine from SAP end.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check whether u r able to resolve the hostname of the SMTP server from ur SAP server without any issues. You can even try adding the host details of ur SMTP server in the hosts file of ur SAP server.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI varadhu,

From the os level we were able to telnet to the port 25 which is the standarad smtp port.But from SAP level i dont know why it is taking such long time.Adding to /etc/hosts wouldnt solve the purpose since the mail server is load balanced we dont to which IP address it is going.Could you please help us out in this regard.

Former Member
0 Kudos

perfom nslookup from your OS to your email server and see the result ie. how much time its taking? do the same test for multiple times as your have load balanced on email server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Before i do a nslookup i wanted to know one basic thing.When we keep the smtp host in scot how does the connection happen.Does SAP directly connect to smtp host or else it goes via OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It has to go through your OS if you use host name.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What if we use IP address?

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When we keep the smtp host in scot how does the connection happen. Does SAP directly connect to smtp host or else it goes via OS.

This is very basic... if the mail host is registered on the DNS it will resolve the hostname without having to add an entry in your host file (of the SAP Server) otherwise you'll have to populate one... In anycase if the connection is happening (but with a delay) is most likely not an issue with the IP/Hostname.

Also, handshake happens directly from SAP to the SMTP Server using Relay

Check if theres a time difference between the 2 boxes.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the info.Actually i dont know much about mail server.Could you please elaborate on the relay point which you have mentioned.Thanks.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ambarish,

This is simple... when you send a mail, SAP need to do a handshake with the SMTP server to deliver the goods. SAP does not provide the any way to do this using uname/password so it uses a Relay Agent. Basically you need to populate the IP Address of your SAP System in the Relay Agent of your SMTP server so any mails coming from SAP are trusted (or relayed).

Hope it clears your doubts.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

That was simply too good.Thanks for clearing my doubt.Is that all should we be knowing from BASIS perspective regarding mailserver.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please mark this question as answered if you are happy with solution.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is that all should we be knowing from BASIS perspective regarding mailserver.

Theres plenty more for sure but understanding the concept is important.

Regards

Juan

Answers (0)