From last few days I was serching for a standard (systematic) approach that can be followed for ROLE Redisign .
I cam accross few poiinters like Using master and derived role concept or may be Job based or task based role .
I am really intersted in knowing the best practice or commonly used practice for ROLE Redesign mostly where organization have large number(20000) of roles.
Any input is highly appreciated .
Thanks & Regards
20,000 roles are too high. By the way, how many users you have??? Ideally if you have 20,000 roles built in the system, you should have about 1 Lac users.
The best way is always to maintain a Master/Derived concept. In lot of scenarios such as PO approval etc may request multiple roles, which you can reduce by building custom tables, and transaction codes. Below are some of the thumb roles:
1. A role should be designed for a group of users and not an individual.
2. A role should be defined based on a business process/task and not simply for a group of tcodes.
3. Roles should be grouped based on business process & Sub business process only.
4. Avoid using profiles and PDAGs (Pre Defined Activitiy groups which are delivered by SAP) to the maximum possible.
Here are some of the tips:
1. Identify the obsolete roles and delete them.
2. Identify the roles which are with minimum transaction codes and merge them into one by grouping on business process. Quickly you can generate a report using AGR_TCODES to find out the Roles Vs Tcode assignment.
3. Identify the roles with open org.fields using AGR_WITH_EMPTY_FIELDS report.
4. Identify the roles with open auth objects using AGR_WITH_EMPTY_FIELDS.
5. Re-design your entire role frame work and match to tasks & positions.
This way you can reduce the # of roles to as less as possible.
Hope this helps!!