Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long vs. LOBs vs. securefiles and licensing

marian_bednar
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am planning upgrade my 10.2 database (R/3 Enterprise 4.7/200) to version 11.2 (in 1.Q/2011)

I have not converted LONG and LONG RAW datatypes to LOB in my 10.2 db.

My plan is:

1. Upgrade db to 11.2.

2. Migrate LONG and LONG RAW directly to LOB (type securefile) according to Note 1426979:

"It is recommended to convert existing LONG data directly to SecureFile LOBs and not to convert to BasicFile LOBs".

But I have some unclearness.

1. I don't have oracle licenses from SAP but directly from Oracle and I don't have purchased Oracle Advanced Compression

option.

2. According to Oracle documents I can use securefiles but I can't use compression, deduplication and encryption on them (for this is Oracle Advanced Compression needed).

3.Can I convert LONGs to LOB-Securefiles using BR*Tools in such way that new securefiles LOBs will be created without compression, deduplications and encryption?

Thanks.

Marian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nikolay_kumanov
Explorer
0 Kudos

IMHO, SAP doesn't use encryption and deduplication with securefiles. As for the compression, it is controlled by the -compress option of brspace. If you don't use the -c clob (or ctablob etc.) option, it will not compress the securefiles.

Also, there was a hotnews note recently not to use the parallel degree (-e option) with long2lob online conversions, as it can lead to data loss!

Answers (0)