cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open PDF file from DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am unable to open PDF file from DMS. Earlier I could open the PDF files from DMS. I have not made any changes in the configuration or installed new PDF version (using adobe reader v9.2). The system does not give any error messages.

This issue is faced only by some users but other are able to open the pdf files through DMS with the same configuration settings and the same version of adobe reader (v9.2).

kindly help me resolve this issue.

Regards,

Shynu John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Issue referred to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shynu,

Can you please share the solution?

Thanks and Regards

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

as this issue happens only for specific users I would kindly ask you to check and compare their windows settings regarding file format 'PDF' and made sure that the Adobe Reader is maintained as default program for this format.

Because normally the SAP system creates a local copy of the checked in file and then hands over the control to the operating system. Based on the extension of this local copy the operating system starts the default application for it.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check in DC 30 for pdf type of file format , have you defined "workstation application in network" , data carrier type"PC" and application type "3". Also check the start authorization is ticked.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

All the settings mentioned by you already exists.

I have one observation to share with you all. When I open a pdf file from DMS, a local file is created in the C"\temp folder but this file gets deleted even before the application could open it. In case of users where the pdf file opens, the local file remains in the C:\temp folder even after the file is closed.

In case of Microsoft office applicaltion, the local file is deleted as soon as the file is opened.

Please give some valuable suggestion on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph

I have one observation to share with you all. When I open a pdf file from DMS, a local file is created in the C"\temp folder but this file gets deleted even before the application could open it. In case of users where the pdf file opens, the local file remains in the C:\temp folder even after the file is closed.

In case of Microsoft office applicaltion, the local file is deleted as soon as the file is opened.

Please give some valuable suggestion on this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shynu,

After additinal information, I am suggesting to check for DIR file existance in c/programfiles/sap. Reinstall the SAP GUI wherever the files not opening. I think this problem is due to installation. Kindly reinstall and check and revert back.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

I have reinstalled SAP GUI. Still the problem exists.

Regards,

Shynu John

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

as the local copy seems to be deleted again before the display starts, could you please check if you have maybe a BADI implementation if BADI DOCUMENT_FILES01 is implemented. Because this could be the reason why the local copy gets deleted again.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

This issue can be caused by couple of reasons -

1. If any User has checked-out the PDF file (any format) and they have not checked-in back

2. Issue can be because of viewer installed - Check if there were any changes in the viewer in your client network recently?

Hope above checks can address your problem.

-Thanks,

Ajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shynu,

For this you need to check folowing points:

1. In DC30 workstation application MIME Type is defined for .pdf files.

2. If you are using ECC6.0 then ECL viewer6 with Patch is installed on each users system wherever SAP DMS access is given.

3. Adobe Acrobat latest version is installed on each user's system.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

All the settings as mentioned by you exists.

The system does not give any errors. In the message bar the following message appears " XXXXX bytes of data transferred."

Kindly help.

Regards,

Shynu John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shynu,

Kindly check following points:

1. In DC20 data carrier type is defined as "PC". Mount point and logical drive is defined as "Default".

2. Check with the IT-hardware networking team that the "SapWorkDir" is defined for your PC.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

I have checked the DC20 settings.

1) Data carier type is defined as PC and the path defined is C:\Temp. Mount points and logical drive is not defined.

2) "SapWorkDir" is defined.

Note: I could open pdf files with the same settings a couple of days back.

Regards,

Shynu John

Edited by: Shynu John on Oct 15, 2010 10:41 AM