cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII with PI System OSIsoft

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone has experience connecting MII with PI System OSIsoft?

I try to connect using UDC. Is this correct? I have entered ip and port but could not get connection.

Any clue?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Seng,

My name is Paul Novak, I am a Technical Support Engineer with OSIsoft. I would like to be able to assist you, to make sure that your PI System is correctly set up and configured, so it can correctly integrate with your other systems. Currently it is not clear what the problem is or if there are any errors, or how I can help.

I encourage you to create a support call at http://techsupport.osisoft.com/MySupport/MyCalls/. If you do, a Tech Support Engineer will be assigned to this issue and will help you until the problem is resolved.

I hope you will take advantage of this resource.

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Thanks for answering.. If possible; at firlst I need to know the POSSIBLE architecture(and requirements) of connecting MII to OSI PI

1. Can I use MII UDC? I just want to connect to UDS of OSI PI.

Aafter reading all the input in the forum, what I understand is that if I need to connect to OSI PI via UDC,

- UDS needs to be installed in a machine (it could be in OSI PI machine), and OSI PI need to be configured to connect to this UDS. And MII will use UDC to connect to this UDS. Am I correct?

- if yes do I need to install PI-SDK in MII machine? I am using MII 12.1 with Netweaver (cant remeber but I guess netweaver 7).

2. Is the other option using OLEDB, where I could do more complex Query to OSI PI?

-WHat do I need to do (both MII and OSI pI) in order to connect with OLEDB?

3. PCO. I know best choice will be PCO. PCO could trigger event to MII, but is choice 1 and 2 also possible???

I really need help. If choice 1 is easy, I would like to test it first. Where can I get UDS ???

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

UDS 2.5 (not sure what the latest version is) can be downloaded from Service Marketplace. Install it in the network where the PI Historian is located, or even on the same machine. I recommend that you create a separate ID and password for the UDS in PI Security in PI System Management Tools (there are other ways to do this as well).

Set the Datasource to PIUDS.DataSource.

Use the full name or even the explicit IP address when creating the connection in the UDS.

The port number is defined here for later use by MII. Just make sure it is not used elsewhere.

Set the User ID and password. (Default is piadmin, but unless your security folks are really slipping, it should not be used here).

Start the UDS. It should turn yellow and stay that way. If it does not, then I would contact OSIsoft technical support as suggested above.

On the MII side:

Create a new Data Server of type UDC. Give it a name. (Connector Type will automatically be set to Tag.)

Set the IP and Port the same as you did for the UDS.

Enable the server. Save.

Check the Status. It should be "Running" if all is well.

If you want it to be writable, it must be set here and I think the ID in PI also has to have those privileges (not completely sure).

Good luck,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

I will try it.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Once you get this running, I can also go through the OLEDB process with you. It is similar in complexity, but I will have to go back and research it. It also uses UDS 4.0 rather than UDS 2.5.

Once these are running, I would recommend switching to PCo 2.1 so you can take advantage of Event Notifications.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike

We will try. Again thanks for the help

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seng,

Yes, that's right. The procedure should be more or less like mentioned below:

1. Install PI on SAP MII server. (Use appropriate versions for both PI and MII)

2. Install PI UDS and configure OSI PI server.

3. Create UDC connection at MII server (Data Services) to listen UDS.

4. In MII Transaction, use UDC in tag query.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar

1. Install PI on MII server ??? What should I install? Where should I install (in Netweaver???) What should I confiure. Where can I get the installation file

please explain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seng,

Install OSISoft PI SDK on SAP MII 12.1 server. (Netweaver will also work.)

Install PI or SAP UDS. In PI UDS, you need to configure port and IP of the server and create instance.

This instance can be used to create UDC data server in MII.

Best Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Still dont understand

why must I install OSISoft PI SDK on SAP MII 12.1 server. (Netweaver will also work.??)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Seng,

It is not mandatory. You can have OSISoft PI on any machine over the network.

I mentioned to install PI on the MII server - just to keep these softwares on one machine.

Best Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok so what I did was correct?

1. Machine A running OSI PI and UDS configured

2. Machin B running MII 12.1

- configured UDC to connect to Machine A's UDS

anything else I need to install?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Absolutely right.

Did you configure UDC data server in MII with IP and port?

What are the versions you are using?

Kind Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I did

I configure the port ID and port. And when I click on status it said error.

I even trie with cmd telnet ip port. I managed to go in. So this means the ip and port is correct configured in MII

I am using MII Version 12.1.5 Build(93)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Another question what ist this PI-SDK? should I install it in MII server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, this is Carol Jackson at OSIsoft. If you have MII 12.1, you should be using PCo functionality at a minimum for the "eventing" so you dont have to poll, poll... THen you can use UDS (PI SDK properties) or PCo (PI SDK properties). If possible PCo is your better option because subsequent releases of MII 12.x will only support PI connectivty using PCo and other methods of data access to your PI System and AF will be added in the months to follow. PI should be installed on your PI box (connected to all the plant data systems - DCS/PLC....), The MII system should be installed on its own box. If a calcualtion only needs PI data content, you should do your calcs in PI. If the calcs are dependent on SAP data content AND PI data, then you should do your calcs in MII. Note, you dont have to move up all time series data from PI into MII. PI and MII data interaction support pulling up averages, min, max...or any kind of filtered data you need specifically for the MII display. This cuts down drastically on network traffic if you get this flow optimized like this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks Carol for the explaination.

PI SDK is OSISoft PI Software development kit - a library used to access PI services like Java SDK.

Now, what error you are getting when you are trying to connect?

Best Regards,

Kedar