Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial number-keying in external serial no

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

we have below requirement

When we are doing delivery creation vl01n,we would like to key in the vendor serial no in the serial no field for that material.(capture external vendor serial number is system at the time of delivery )

When we enter some alpha numeric number which we had received from vendor,it is giving error that external serial no cannot be maintained

can you tell us how do we make some set of numbers entered in serial no..as it may some timesbe numeric or alphanumeric and it may not be in a range

regards

swetha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Swetha,

First createthe serial master record in the system with IQ02 or IQ04 and try to assign the required Serial numbers

Regards,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Swetha

Firstly check your Serial Number Profile setting (OIS2) and check if the box ' ExistReq' (Serial Number Existence Requirement) is checked, It should not be checked meaning If the indicator is not set, then serial numbers can be created during a business transaction.

Also check the Equipment category assigned to this Serial Number profile and change the setting of the box "No Alpha Numeric Equipment Numbers' and see if it helps. I don't think this is needed but just keep it in mind.

SPRO/IMG/Plant Maintenance and Customer Service/Master Data in Plant Maintenance and Customer Service/Technical Objects/Equipment/Equipment Categories/Maintain Equipment Category.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi sorry

I t is still not working.

It is giving me error when iam trying to enter some other serial no given by vendor-

Equipment number 10043ABCD not in external number

interval

regards

Swetha

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think in t.code OIEN, you need to maintain the number range like from number as 000000001 to number as ZZZZZZZZZ and check the box External. Then you can re-try.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK then you need to work with the number range assigned to the Eqpt. Cat

T code OIEN.

Here maintain an external number range ( the challenge would be how to set up one which covers all eventualities. But for the current situation 00000AAAA to 99999ZZZZ may work) and then assign ito the relevant item cat via a group as per steps below. For more info, follow the IMG help:

1. Define the number assignment category (internal and/or external) for each equipment category.

2. Set up a group for each different number interval.

3. Define the number interval for each group.

4. Allocate each equipment category to a group

Let me know how it goes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also one more option is not to create Equipment when assigning serial numbers. This is again in the serial number config.

While in OIS2, select the profile and click on the tab Serializing procedures. And then select the requisite procedure ( e.g. SDLS- Maintain delivery) and enter 01 for the box equipment required. Then you may create an eqpt for that serial number later. You may face same issue at that time, but that's another story.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

thanks .issue solved.external material no used with range of alpha numeric numbers