cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transportation and Shipment scenario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a business scenario in transportation/shipment in which goods from a plant first goes to distribution centre and from there it is distributed to end customers.

In the first load i.e from plant to distribution center (Distribution center is basically a load transfer point ), there would be multiple deliveries combined. After this in the second step, the material would then need to be send to individual customers.

There can be no stock transfer in the first step (plant to distribution center) since we need to provide charges to the vendor.

Can you please suggest way for mapping this scenario in system?

Regards

Manoj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

Thanks. The information has been very useful.

For the time being i have used transportation chain and created collective shipment for transporting goods from plant till DC and Individual shipment from DC to end customer.

Regards

Manoj Nair

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Manoj

You can go in for collective shipment with stages (legs).

Set up the Distribution center as a Transport connection point with characteristic attribute ' Load Transfer Point'. You may do away with this by maintaining Independent address ( PDC) as destination point, please note.

You may set up the routes with stages in config or define stages in shipment itself. Make the leg from Shipping Point- PDC as the preliminary leg, followed by the main leg which is from PDC- Customer.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrasekhar,

Thanks for your response.

However i am not very clear of what needs to be done for second stage. For example i can do a collective shipment for first stage wherein my goods are transferred from plant till distribution channel. But how do i make seperate individual shipments from the distribution center till the customer. I am new to transportation and hence would appreciate if you could explain this to me in some details.

Regards

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The idea with collective shipment is that you create one shipment document only. And under this shipment you have multiple stages representing shipment legs.

But using this approach there are several watchouts/limitations

1. Delivery combination

If your DC can freely combine and mix delieries, say you have 4 deliveries:

delivery A, B, C, D

one DC

2 customers: customer 1, customer 2

Now:

delivery A and B travel in single truck to DC

delivery C and D travel in another truck to DC

Then at DC they are combined and

delivery A and C go to customer1

delivery B and D go to customer 2

Then the above can be achieved only if you create shipment with all 4 deliveries. But each truck might go with different

carrier, at different times etc.

2. Limited data at stage level

If you want to capture data like shipment completion, shipment start etc. for each of the legs, then note that stage data is much more limited than shipment header.

3. Layouts/additional functionalitiies

In case you want to generate separate layouts or any other functionalities for each of the legs separately, then usually this involves much more work

Based on the above for the scenario above I would suggest also to consider option of having two separate shipments for each of the legs. Then you can assign separate deliveries to each of the shipments and easier capture all necessary data.

Additionally, you can also create them under different transportation planning points, if those are planned by separate teams.

Regards,

Dominik Modrzejewski