cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment Variables not set permanently before inst. of EH4 IDES

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

We have done the EHP4 IDES installation on HP-UX with Oracle 10g. We have not set the environment variables permanently before installation of EHP4 IDES. We have given env. variables temporarily for that session. After installation We have done some post installation steps like Profile Parameter settings, SGEN. As our oraacrch got filled, system hanged. So obviously I need to restart my server. Soon after I tried to restart my server, I 'm getting error as SAPSYSTEMNAME not set and when tried to restart my database, getting error as start the Database DB must be restarted from remote Server.

I appreciate the team for the help in resolving the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Balamuralikrishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As our oraacrch got filled, system hanged. So obviously I need to restart my server.

Why u need to restart the server for archiver stuck!? You can simply remove the old logs and let the oracle write the new logs.

What are all the parameters set temporarily ? Have u tried to start the SAP instance with these parameters set again ? Post us the startup/startdb logs. These will help us guide you.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Varadharajan,

I'm thankful for your response to my posting.

The environment variables I have set temporarily are:

setenv DISPLAY IPaddress:0.0

setenv JAVA_PATH /opt/java1.4

setenv PATH /opt/java1.4/bin:$PATH

setenv ORACLE_BASE /oracle

setenv ORACLE_HOME /oracle/sid/102_64

setenv ORACLE_SID SID

setenv LIBRARY_PATH $ORACLE_HOME

setenv SAPDATA_HOME /oracle/sid

setenv SHLIB_PATH /oracle/sid/102_64/lib:/usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run

After setting these environment variables in the terminal, I have continued with my installation. After the successful installation, I have restarted my server, I'm unable to start oracle database. It gives error like ORACLE_HOME: undefined variable, SAPSYSTEMNAME is not set. ......

I believe I'm getting the error because of environment variables not set permanently. I want to know to how to set the environment variables permanently and globally available to all users. What are the files in which we need to make changes in HP-UX 11 v3. I'm new to HP-UX so please guide me to overcome from this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

balamuralikrishna R

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The environment variables for Oracle/SAP on HP will be stored permanently in the following files (which are available in the home directory of the users).

.dbenv_<hostname>.sh

.dbenv_<hostname>.csh

.sapenv_<hostname>.sh

.sapenv_<hostname>.csh

Have a look at the [SAP Note 602843 - Environment settings for R/3/Oracle on UNIX|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=602843]. This will give u more idea about the env variables for the above said OS/DB combination.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Varadharajan M