cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding DMS & BDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have got some requirement at attach documents to PO in ECC from SRM and mail them with PO through standard message output ( ME9F ).

As i aware, we have different techniques in SAP to strore documents , namely DMS , BDS etc. I did few developments eariler on BDS and it is really easy to implement , but my client asked for DMS. So we are making some feasibility study for the both options.

Hence i would like to know your views in below points.

1. What is the better option to attach documents to PO.

2. What are basic differences, advantages & disadvantage if any between BDS & DMS.

3. Which one is the best fit in long run while implementing external storage content server.

Appreciate your response & thoughs on this.

Regards,

NV

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Really use ful information for analysis. As informed by the client, we may not required any document management functionalities in SAP. They will generally attach documents in SRM and send it to R/3. Then R/3 has to send PO with all attachments to vendor.

So In case if we go with BDS for simple attachements with SAP internal storage, Can we archive those doucments & send it other system in future if required.

Appreciate your view.

Regards,

Naveen Veshala

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Naveen,

I think maintaining documents of SRM related transaction in SAP is not good idea.

Second thing sending documents attached to PO to Vendor. This is also not feasible option as when you send mails there is always limitations to attachments to be sent and received. there ould be nukmber of document to be sent. This is not feasible solution.

I was given same requirement. But I have convienced the client not to go for these solutions.

My question to you is check from each angle wheteher the solution is feasible technically , functionally .

With regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

I second Mangeshs' thoughts.Propose you discuss with your customer and suggest an approach of mailing the attachments separately alongwith the PO and not route it via SAP which would unnecessarily load the system.A basic local file server s/m would also help you track all your PO attachments.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep/Mangesh,

Appreciated your really use ful information on this. I have got some fair idea now to evaluate the requirement. Let me take it up with client again with all options. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Naveen Veshala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

BDS/MIME Repository is typically used to maintain basic excel,jpeg files inside SAP.Both SAP DMS and BDS have specific applications.I would propose you ponder over the following points before arriving at a solution for storage.

1. Are the documents that you propose to check-in would be edited/modified over time?

2. Is there a life cycle that you intend to maintain for these documents?

3. Will the documents/drawings be processed/reviewed from time to time?

4. Will these documents be operated in a secure environment(with authorizations/digital signature)?

5. Will the volume of documents generated will expand over time with need for storage and retrieval?

6. Is there a need for links to be established to other SAP R/3 objects?

If you agree positively to most of the above queries, then DMS is a solution that you can explore further for implementation(refer SDN for indepth features list http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/DocumentManagement%28CA-DMS%29)

Hope these inputs will give you a fair idea to evaluate further.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

I can tell you about DMS only. In DMS you can attach documents to "Purchase Order Item" in standard behaviour.

This is at item level. I have doubts if you are using dms , links can be sent with PO in standard environment.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravindra for your info.

Yes, We can attach docuements only to line item level in DMS, but can be attached at attachment list in BDS. So waiting for more experts info like you.

Regards,

Naveen Veshala.