Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing MaxDB client on Win7 64bit and connect to 32bit server

former_member231374
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install a MaxDB client on my 64 bit Win7-System in order to use the BO universe designer. And basically it does't work because the db server is 32bit. I tried to:

1. Install the 64bit client driver -> The connection assistant moans about wrong architectures between application driver and database

2. Install the 32bit client driver and hope that Win7 does not complain -> The installer quits because of the wrong architecture. I'm aware of the 32bit database administrator in Win7 (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe) but as long as it is not possible to install the driver this solution is not applicable

3. Use the virtual XP mode -> Installation of the 32bit driver is possible without any problems. Then, the only problem is to access the driver. Unlike the usual "start XP mode application" (accessible via the start menu), the drivers are only registered in the virtual machine. Consequently, I had to install the whole BO package in the virtual machine as well. This works fine, but running the universe designer on the Win7 system in a virtual XP machine just does't feel right

Any ideas to resolve this issue? Maybe "force" the MaxCB 32 bit client into installation?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'm trying to install a MaxDB client on my 64 bit Win7-System in order to use the BO universe designer. And basically it does't work because the db server is 32bit. I tried to:

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

The byte-version of the client has nothing to do with the servers byte-version.

Connect 32 to 64? Works!

Connect 64 to 32? Works!

Connect 32 to 32? Works!

Connect 64 to 64? Works!

The client software really is independent from the MaxDB server software.

What's not independent is the byte-version of the application you want to use with the 32-bit client software.

In this case, the byte-version of the BO universe designer.

> Any ideas to resolve this issue? Maybe "force" the MaxCB 32 bit client into installation?

Since I'm not (yet) familiar with the universe designer software ... is this a 32-bit software?

Have you already opened a support message to get an answer from the BO support collegues?

Is the BO universe designer officially supported on Windows 7/64-Bit at all?

regards,

Lars