cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Virtualization - Hyper-V - as part of the upgrade

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

We are just about to start an upgrade to ECC6 from ECC5 We are currently on Windows 2003 32-bit servers MSSqlServer 2005.

One strong proposal is to go to a virtual environment for SAP as part of the upgrade (we were looking at staying put until we had funding for server upgrades). I'm not seeing any reasons not to... yet it seems a few months ago there was some hesitancy to go there for production systems. in our case the entire landscape would go virtual.

Any show stoppers? Suggestions? Recommendations? i can take to the infrastructure team regarding moving into this envirnoemnt? (it is a Hyper-V environment using Windows 2008 R2 - which I know isn't supported just yet (soon?????), but I think we could use a 2008 virtual OS...?)

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions!

Laurie McGinley

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

laurie_mcginley
Participant
0 Kudos

Well... we virtualized the entire landscape. We are not a large installation, relatively small. So far we are seeing no issues, and good response times.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Laurie,

First, be sure to take a look at the Windows virtualization information:

SAP Note 674851 u2013 Virtualization on Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615/en-us

Of course, virtualizaiton does affect performance, especially in high I/O applications like the DB. Personally, I would be careful there as the performance hit could be possibly higher than any gain achieved by virtualization. DB's often stand alone on their own server in the first place. Or, I would at least compare the performance of the DB non-virtualized to virtualized.

Best Regards,

Matt