cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is must that DB SID & SAP SID should be same. If yes/no Why?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

Please provide steps in detail

"Is it must that Database System Identifier & SAP System Identifier should be Similar"

=> If Yes : Please give the reason in detail.

=> If No : Please give the reason in detail.

Expecting a favorable reply,

Regards,

Gimmy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The <DBSID> identifies the database instance. SAPinst prompts you for the <DBSID> when you are installing the database instance.

The <DBSID> can be the same as the <SAPSID>.

This becuase you may have same DBSID already in you organization / landscape.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its not clear, Yes / NO why?

I'm installing complete the database as well SAP.

During DI & CI we have to assign SID. Here we will assign similar SID's.

I've got to know that it should not be similar but then also connection exists. HOW IT IS POSSIBLE?

Edited by: gimmy.basis on Oct 8, 2010 4:31 PM

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all Dialog instance does not have its own database. So, it has to use database of CI. So while installing DI, you have to use SID of database of CI only.

Second as far as DB SID is concerned you can choose same SID as of SAP or different SID. There is no compulsion here. We generally choose DB SID same as of SA SID so that it can ease the administration.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

If your DB SID and yor SAP SID are different that it is MCOD installation which is a different installation method when compared to the regular one where DB SID = SAP SID as said both method are feasible. It finally depends on your requirement to choose which method to rely on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Revan,

Sorry but ur explanation for MCOD is not the right one. MCOD is the process of installing Multiple Components on One Database.

Having SAP SID and DB SID different doesn't mean that u r installing MCOD.

Coming to the original query, as Sunny mentioned, it is not mandatory to have DB SID and the SAP SID as one and the same. We can have different SID for DB and SAP on a SAP installation. In case if u have a bigger landscape it is better to go with same SID to have better identification.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes its clear now!

I appreciate for your response

Thanks & Regards,

Gimmy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,