cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process not getting killed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I tried killing the process but still it is not getting killed.Used the below command.

kill -9 <pid>

sapkxdap10:orads2 9> ps -ef | grep sap

sidadm 25255 1 0 Sep21 ? 01:00:18 dw.sapSID_DVEBMGS68 pf=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/profile/SID_DVEBMGS68_sapkxdap10

I cannot understand what the second field means question mark is there.How to kill the process if they are hung.Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> sapkxdap10:orads2 9> ps -ef | grep sap

> sidadm 25255 1 0 Sep21 ? 01:00:18 dw.sapSID_DVEBMGS68 pf=/usr/sap/SID/SYS/profile/SID_DVEBMGS68_sapkxdap10

> I cannot understand what the second field means question mark is there.How to kill the process if they are hung.Thanks.

Those are workprocesses which are automatically restarted if you kill them.

A "hung process" can have many reasons, usually it's not necessary to kill them on OS level but try to find the root cause in the application.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the reponse.How should i proceed even after stopping sap if the process exists?And what does that question mark indicate in the output..Thanks.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How should i proceed even after stopping sap if the process exists?

I don't know - I have no clue under which circumstances something that like can occur. You can check using

ipcs -m

if there are any shared memory segments allocated. Also stop/kill "saposcol" and "sapstartsrv".

> And what does that question mark indicate in the output..Thanks.

Execute

man ps

The question mark means the process has no connected terminal (just read the headline when you execute ps -ef) and was started by another process.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks appreciate your response.I forgot to tell there was shared memory attached but when i tried releasing it was not getting released.

used ipcrm.

Even the system administartor was not able to release the memory.Finally we had to reboot and everything looked fine.But reboot is not a desired option right.Thanks.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sidadm 25255 1 0 Sep21 ?

With your second type of job which has "?" which might has came down as previously your sap was not properly shut down.

I think it won't come if you have a proper shutdown for SAP. Anyways rebot of OS has already solved problem.

Regards,

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

We finally had to reboot but that is not the right way.I wanted to know as to why the process was still hanging.Thanks.

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stale NFS handles (on which the WP was waiting for) can be reasons for the unkillability.. Also, 'dmesg' might give you a hint.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for the response.usr/sap is not shared right.So NFS would be ruled out right.

former_member189546
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Go SM50 then click on process then from menu

process cancel with core

SM50 may indicate why process is hanging

Also check check the trace file for that process in the

work directory

regards,

John Feely

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.SAP has been stopped already but still the process exists.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

if you have stopped the SAP system then you can use below command

cleanipc <Sys_nr> remove

This will clean the shared memory for specific instance number.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Had done the same.But still after some time the process is not getting killed.Even after me killing the process no response.