cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realationship enterprise service <-> application/entity service

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read some books about ESA and CAF but I still don't know the relationship between enterprise services in ESA and application and entity services in the Netweaver DevStudio (CAS framework).

Are application/entity services also enterprise services? Or is there a difference?

Thanks for your answers.

Joachim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

To get back to your definition problem:

Enterprise services are destined to be published and eventually opened up for worldwide access (with corresponding security of course).

Application/Entity services are destined to be consumed from within the enterprise / application and do not get registered in a worldwide UDDI.

They build the internals of your business but are not accessible from outside.

Enjoy

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can consume SAP Enterprise Services. You can also participate in the definition of the Enterprise Services through the ES Community (see ES Community under Enterprise SOA in SDN) and even create your own Enterprise Services. You can use whatever web development tools you like. In Netweaver Java stack, you can use CAF to implement or develop Application Services (where business logic is coded) leveraging Entity Services taping into your local or remote data model(s). Enterprise Services can be modeled and coded in CAF Application Services but you can use plain J2EE as well. In SAP case, the interfaces for Enterprise Services are defined in XI (input/output/exception). Their implementation happen in the appropriate SAP solutions like ERP where business logic can execute against appropriate data.

Practically CAF Entity Services cannot be called Enterprise Services unless you want to. They just perform basic CRUD (create/read/update/delete) operations on an data object. They're more like utility services. But like Anton's mention of "Private Enterprise Services", what's private remains your own business!

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are interested in the ES Community please do join us. Simply go to the home page: : http://esc.sap.com and click on the large "Join Now" button, and follow the three steps outlined there. If you have any questions regarding membership feel free to contact me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

as far as I understand that matter, application/entity services are no enterprise services because they are not meant to be published but only created in the realm of an application. so, they are not designed to (necessarily) be reuseable nor do they have to comply with quality standards set up for enterprise services.

You might maybe call them the application's private services.

just my 0.02 cents,

anton