Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to get selected value from Drodown list

akimol
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to read the text of the selected item of the DDlist into another text field.

e.g. The DDlist which has values like

Key text

01 Text01

02 Text02

etc.

And after selecteting the value in DDlist, I refresh the form and in another text field TXfld I want to populate the text from the DDlist. So in the Form:ready event of the TXfld I tried to access it by 'value' and not 'rawValue'

this.rawValue = data.Page1.<subform>.DDlist.value

But I am getting some wierd values like Object26354.

I need some pointers to read the Text of the selected item either with Formcalc or JS.

I tried to search this forum and also google, but did not get anything.

Thanks

~Amit.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well get the rawValue of dropdown n the exit event of the drop-down and set the rawValue of TextField there.

akimol
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Chintan,

I am interested in the text value and not the rawValue of the selected item.

Thanks

~Amit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit ,

Try to get the text value by using this java script

var text = data.Page1.<subform>.DDlist.formattedValue;

Regards

Ravindra Singh

akimol
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ravindra.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Chintan

Not necessarily. There is a setting on the drop-downs to tell it "when" you want the new value to be assigned. Typically, yes, using the "exit" event is safest, but it can also happen in "on change". Check the attribute on the drop-down to determine how it is assigned.

Ok, that said...

RawValue = the actual selected VALUE from the drop-down list

FormattedValue = the displayed text of the selection from the drop-down list

The second one there (FormattedValue) is actually why there is a BUG with SAP's provided ISR controls. They have code that says "when the user picks something new in the drop-down, take that FormattedValue and find which value it corespons to and then assign that as our selected value". The problem is that if you have entries in your drop-down with the same text, it will ALWAYS pick the first one (and, yes, clients/customers many times use the same texts with their "help values" because in the SAP GUI they can see the "code"/value associated with them and know which to pick.). This is why I almost always write my own generic services now to populate drop-downs so I am sure they have unique display values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Solomon:

Considered maybe just updating the JS logic within the ISR library? That way it's a single 2 minute change. Don't think I would recommend buildling generic services just for this requirement. Sounds like overkill... grenade time.

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Andrew

Huh? I am not following there. I don't think I suggested using a GS for anything (unless you mean having UNIQUE displayed names in the drop downs....and the only reason I do that is wonder-of-wonders, several/most clients want to see the "code" and the text in the drop down.....so I make it nice for them). But yes, you can easily change the drop-down code to fix the bug (keeping in mind you will have to check/change it for each drop-down you use).....BUT make sure you explain it as others that come behind you or others using "standard" drop-downs won't know what to fix or that the problem actually exists. The BUG is not in the atual "include" JS library script but in the ISR controls library SAP provides. Hopefully SAP fixes it soon and it's a non issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the problem you state where you have to change JS every time you drag a control... may I recommend you change the control code in your library? That would limit the change in a single place... instead of every control you add on the screen. haha

Also, I was referring to your generic service reference: "This is why I almost always write my own generic services now to populate drop-downs so I am sure they have unique display values."

What I was trying to say is that creating generic services for every drop down for this single requirement is quite an interesting approach. Considering you could write a single JS function which you can apply to all your dropdowns to concatenate Key and Value... maybe 30 lines of code? But some like it the hard way! haha