cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting MII to PLC devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

There are PLCs from two vendors on shop floor. Siemens Simatic and B&G. Do PLCs have capability to be connected directly with MII? They donot have DCS,MES and I believe that OPC servers are vendor specific. What'll be the best way to connect PLCs with MII? Is it possible to do that without OPC server coming into picture?

Thanks

Musarrat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Musarrat,

In addition to Kedar.

For Siemens PLC and SCADA system:

you need to configure OPC Server into PLC with port and all settings and permissions (under step 7 that is the software for PLC code development)

you can get manual for siemens PLC from siemens forum there you will find out how to cofigure OPC server.

than you can access this configured OPC Server from PCO or UDS whatever you want.

For Rockwell PLC and SCADA systems.

you need to configureOPC Server under RSLinks Software provided by Rockwell only

than you can access this configured OPC Server from PCO or UDS whatever you want.

For B&G i have no idea but almost PLC system supports OPC Server.

hope this help!!

Regards,

Manoj Bilthare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Musarrat,

MII doesn't connect directly to PLC. You need to have OPC server or OPC compliant middle ware to connect to PLC. You can get SCADA/HMI from any of teh reputed brands and then connect it to MII.

Please find the below link as a starting point:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_xmiiuds40/helpdata/en/index.htm

One of the links from Wiki:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/xMII/MIIanddevice+connectivity

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gentelmen,

Thanks for answering my query. I would like to get some more information. We have got a client with

1.Siemen's & B&R PLCs at one manufacturing unit

2.Yokogawa DCS at another manufacturing unit.

Data needs to be extracted by MII. What would be the best bet to achieve this?

Best Regards,

Musarrat

Edited by: Musarrat Husain on Oct 6, 2010 6:33 PM