cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

special TMS configuration issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

I ran ECC6/Oracle10g/on SUN Solaris10 & I have a 3 system landscape DEV => QAS => PRD with TMS configured

A few months a go I did a system copy of PRD to a separate server with new SID T11.

My developers and superusers have made some changes in this system T11(which they say is much better

than the current DEV) and they wish to have these changes transported into PRD. T11 has not been configured in the TMS

I have a two questions

1) How do I move the changes in T11 to PRD ? Do I have to reconfigure TMS ?

2) since T11 seems to have solved many problems associated with the DEV there is a request (from developers & superusers) for a homogenous system copy of PRD to overwrite the DEV and QAS systems. Shoud I go a head wih this ?

The DEV system is a bit messed up so the users complain it dosen't work fine. I'm made to understand SAP dosen't recommend overwriting DEV with a system copy of PRD due to possibiliy of loosing develoment history tables which can affect the DEV system during upgrades

Kindly advice on this

Edited by: Laban Kosgey on Oct 4, 2010 4:05 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) How do I move the changes in T11 to PRD ? Do I have to reconfigure TMS ?

You can do one of the two things:

If this is a time move then you can just add the transports to the buffer and import them into PRD. You just need to make sure that /usr/sap/trans is shared other wise you have to move the data and cofiles from you T11 system to the data and cofiles of the PRD system.

Or you can configure STMS.

Again this will depend on how you plan to use your T11 system long term.

2) since T11 seems to have solved many problems associated with the DEV there is a request (from developers & superusers) for a homogenous system copy of PRD to overwrite the DEV and QAS systems. Shoud I go a head wih this ?

Have a look at the following note. This addresses your issue:

[SAP Note 130906 - How can versions be transported?|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/130906]

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveed , thanks for the SAP Note.

So to move the changes from T11 to PRD I presume I have to follow the steps below. correct me if I'm wrong

1. create a transport directory in T11 i.e. /usr/sap/trans at the moment I only have /usr/sap

2. the release the change requests in Q11 to that the transport directory in Q11 can be updated by the files e.g. Q11900014.T11 in /usr/sap/trans/cofiles & /usr/sap/trans/data

3. ftp the files to the transport directory for the systems configured with TMS

4. go to PRD & run STMS, identify the change request in PRD import queue & import to PRD system

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you plan to move the transports to QA system and then to PRD, I will recommend mount the /usr/sap/trans from your Dev system on to your T11 system. In this way you don't have to worry about creating directories and ftp files.

From your description looks like you are planning to use STMS, if that is the case you need to configure STMS.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveed

1) if I decide to use the STMS method do i have to delete the current TMS configuration ie DEV -> QAS -> PRD & then configure new TMS ie T11 -> PRD ? ie should i use standard route two system landscape: Development and production ?

2) if i use the method of ftp cofiles & data files do i have to configure a virtual system so that T11 can release change request.

Kindly let me know where I will get the core & datafiles in Q11 system.

T11 is on a separate UNIX server and will not be used long term. I borrowed the server from the UNIX admin(to test system copy of PRD, but the developers/superusers have fallen in love with it). I want to move the changes from T11 to PRD before returning the server to UNIX admin

Actually, I'd be happy to learn how both methods work .

Thanks

Edited by: Laban Kosgey on Oct 4, 2010 7:47 PM

Edited by: Laban Kosgey on Oct 4, 2010 7:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos
1) if I decide to use the STMS method do i have to delete the current TMS configuration ie DEV -> QAS -> PRD & then configure new TMS ie T11 -> PRD ? 

No, you can just modify the current STMS and add the transport route from T11 -> PRD. You will need to mount /usr/sap/trans onto your T11 system.

2) if i use the method of ftp cofiles & data files do i have to configure a virtual system so that T11 can release change request.
Kindly let me know where I will get the core & datafiles in Q11 system.

If you take ftp route or do not want to configure STMS, you will have to create /usr/sap/trans on T11 and would have to import them from unix using "tp command" into PRD after copying them over to the PRD /usr/sap/trans. You have to release the transports from T11. And I am sure there might be more steps that need to be taken.

I will recommend going with option 1.

Thanks,

Naveed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just want to add some lines:

1) As you DEV contanins history data so you can't copy your PRD into this but I hope you setup the golden client in DEV which is not messed if this is the case leave the system unchanged it's also worth to keep this alive without making any system copy not from T11 also.

2) As you have to keep your T11 in place of your DEV then go for this but without loosing the DEV like below::

DEV -

> QAS -

> PRD

│ │ (STMS)

T11 -

• The above scenario suits you because in your current situation you have completely loosed your DEV but if you replace this with T11 and you observe the same situation is occured after some time so to prevent this damage make sure you have a complete history backup. This will also help you to get updated with upcoming SAP upgrades on any of the one system untill you satisfied the needs without loosing business impact, downtime etc.,

Regards;

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot gentlemen

Answers (0)