cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation of SAP MaxDB instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're currently in the phase of migration our small/midsize databases for PI,SRM, Solman, Portals and so on) to SAP MaxDB and therefore are looking into a way of consolidation of our SAP MaxDB instances on fewer but bigger hosts. However, we do have some concerns to that end.

1. is it possible and supported by SAP to run different SAP MaxDB versions on the same host (iex: Version 7.7 and 7.6).

2. What about the client software and the independent software when running different SAP MaxDB versions, or just two or more DB instances?

3. Is Linux as OS better than Windows to handle this scenario (no shared .ddl and registry entrys)?

4. When having two or more SAP MaxDB instances on the same host; what about the X-server when updating the instances individually (we only have version 7.6 and 7.7 in our landscape)? Does that mean You have to stop the X-server and thereby have downtime for all SAP MaxDB instances on the host, or is it possible to update the DB instances individually? I see, that the new SAP MaxDB 7.8 operates with a global listener X-server term. Is it first in version 7.8 You have the possible to update the DB instances individually on the same host? Or is it possible on fx. Linux hosts to install dedicated x-servers for each DB instance?

/kurt

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> 1. is it possible and supported by SAP to run different SAP MaxDB versions on the same host (iex: Version 7.7 and 7.6).

Yes, it's possible - but are there any reasons to not migrate them all to the same version? AFAIK there's no SAP software that doesn't run with MaxDB 7.7.

> 2. What about the client software and the independent software when running different SAP MaxDB versions, or just two or more DB instances?

You'd run one "listener" (x_server) on the host, if you update that, it needs to be stopped and started.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus, Thanks for Your reply. I've been reading some other of Your threads in this forum, and I see You're running SAP MaxDB for all Your systems. I'll then take it, that You allready have consolidated your SAP MaxDB instances or do you have Your systems as a 2-tier systems with Your DB and CI on same LPAR? We're are using 3-tier system landscape when migrating.

SAP Content Servers are - as I see it in PAM - only officilally released for version 7.6. However I'm sure that it will work without any problems on version 7.7!

Regarding the X-server and updating issues: I think its very importent to understand the fully consequences of consolidation if an update of one of many SAP MaxDB instance on the same host actually means downtime for all DB instances on that particular consolidationg host. The thing is, that as I interpret it, this issue is solved in version 7.8 with the Global Listener and the local X-servers for the DB instances. But I might interpreter this wrong?

However, If I'm right on this issue, does anyone knows if version 7.8 would become released for SAP systems versions prior to NW 7.2? and if so, when would it be?

/kurt