cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAX and VAY

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI experts,

I know that this question has been asked many times before, but after going through many threads, i still have some questions regarding these two. As to my knowledge, VAX is used when we do not use Sales Order as cost object, and VAY is the other way around.

My questions are:

- what are the effects of using cogs as cost element?

- if i am using sales order cost estimate with valuated stock, but the sales order is NOT cost object itself (account category M, valuation M), does the system automatically choose VAY instead of VAX? I have tried to find the answer to this issue, but most of the sources i found said that it will choose VAX.

i have check the requirement class, but as i see it, no requirement class used make the sales order as cost object, and the cogs account itself is not a cost element

Any help is really appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

1. You use COGS as cost element when sales order is CO object. In this case, prof is analyzed at sales order level... thats why, both COGS and revenues are collected on sale order and this SO is settled to COPA

SO, making COGS as cost ele will help you analyse COGS and revenue at SO level

2. Yes, if Sale order is not CO object, system will choose VAX, instead of VAY...

To make sale order a CO object, your req class should use Acct Assignment Category (AAC) = E... The Consumption posting field of AAC will be either E or V... Then VAY will be triggered instead of VAX

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply, Ajay

Yes, that is what i thought, but when i have took a few look at my configurations, but still, i am 100% sure i do not flag the SO as cost object, but i still can't understand why the system looks for VAY Instead of VAX.

Can u give me some pointers about which other areas to check?

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

May be the GL in VAX is itself a cost element...Can you check this

Also,

1. In your SO, go to "procurement" tab and you will find Req Type...

2. Now go to IMG > CO > Prod Costing > Cost Obj COntr > Prod cost by SO > COntrol of Req > Req Type.... Here you will assignment of req type to req class

3. Check whats the AAC in this req class and the consumption posting field in AAC

I am very sure that system would never determine VAX or VAY incorrectly... Unless it gets a pointer from AAC, it would never do that

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have to revisit this issue,

The case is like this, the requirement type is KSL, in which the requirement class is 030 (standard setting, nothing was changed)

In the requirement class setting, everything is blank, nothing is entered, not even a single letter.

The CoGS GL account is NOT cost element....

But, the system still Insists on looking for VAY. Now i am 90% sure it is not the error or miss-config done in controlling module.

Could anybody help me to point to which other areas to check (probably the SD or MM module)

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thank you all in advance

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

Your situation is pretty strange

Other pointers could be

1. Post the transaction with GBB VAY... See what movement type is used in the transaction.. Go to OMJJ and see what account modifier is assigned against that movement type... Possibility of some one changing it can not be ruled out

2. Remove your GBB VAY account from OBYC for the time being and see what error the system gives.. Does it still refer to GBB VAY?? This will give you true indicator as to what the system is looking for

If it does not give error, it would mean that it is taking GL account from some other key... in that case, you will have to check whereelse the COGS (Cost Ele) GL is assigned in OBYC

3. I assume the req type KSL is showing in your sales order and Acct Assgn Catg is also blank in your req class (as you said it is a clean screen).. So, nothing on this front to be checked....

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check if the consumption indicator 'KZVBR' in LIPS table, i'm guessing it has 'E=Sales order' , hence system defaulting VAY as account modification.

If 'KZVBR' is empty (blank = 'No consumption'), then the system defaults VAX as account modification.

Regards,

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

I have checked the OMJJ for movement type 601.

Could you tell me which account modifier are u referring to?

I tried removing the GBB VAY from OBYC, the system issues error which demands for VAY

Thank you in advance

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

Modifiers mean VAX, VAY or PRF, etc... See what Modifier exists against your movement type

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata,

Do you mean that i should check the table 'LIPS' using SE11? Or is it other area i have to check?

Thank you in advance

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

You can check using SE11 or Se16...

The consumption indicator E or V triggers VAY... Check if the same is your case

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

I checked it using se11

The consumption posting is blank (LIPS-KZVBR)

This problem is strange...

Is it necessary to maintain the VAY together with VAX even if we are not using it ?

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

The only reply I can give now is to raise an OSS message... All the symptoms as replied by you seem to be OK....

Its not necessary to maintain VAY along with VAX....

Just one last question... Is your sales order account assigned to some WBS or IO? and which CO object is your COGS getting posted to?

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hm...the Cogs is not getting posting to any CO object, it is not a cost element..

And the Sales order is not assigned to any object (neither WBS nor IO)

Thank you for your interest in this issue, Ajay.

Regards, Erwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So, i decided to put the VAY into the OBYC by using the cogs (but still NOT as cost element), and why i am using Sales Order Cost Estimate to calculate the standard price, the sistem issues the following msg:

Item 00001 : Cost element 123456 does not exist in CO area 1000 for 28.10.2010

Message no. KK689

Diagnosis

Item 00001 is assigned to a cost element which does not exist in controlling area 1000 on 28.10.2010.

Meanwhile, i will do some testing to see the flow from the creation of SO --> PrO until the billing process, but i am curious of what is the effect of usint the cogs as cost element... Because we are not using SO as cost object, so i think, it is not necessary to compare the revenue and cogs at the sales order level...

Any help is greatly appreciated

Regards, Erwin

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

If it is a test system, I would recommend you to create a new SO and start with a clean slate... See if it stil calls for VAY

SInce you are not using SO as cost object, it does not make sense to create COGS as cost element

Also, while you create SO, just check what Item catg is called for.. Go to OVZI and see whats the SOURCE.. If it is 1 or 2, Req Type is determined from SD side.... Else, it is determined from PP side (I.e. MRP group or Strategy Group in MRP views of mat master)

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

It is a test system, and I did the testing using the new SO. May i know what do you mean with clean slate?

Well, it still calls for VAY, even when the requirement class is 030 or 046, both calls for VAY...

I just did as what you said, checked the OVZI, and there are 2 lines regarding this item category

Item category : ZTCU, type: blank, Q:0

Item category : ZTCU, type: ND, Q:0

What do you want me to do with the item category?

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Erwin

ajaycwa1981
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin

With clean slate, i meant to start afresh

1. Did you see any Req Type assigned in OVZI?

2. If SOURCE field in ZERO in OVZI, it would mean req type is to be determined from Mat Master

Check what is the MRP group (MRP1 view) or Strategy Group in MRP 3 view of the material master

Now go to IMG > Product Cost Controlling > Cost Object Controlling > Product Cost by Sales Order > Control of Sales-Order-Related Production/Product Cost by Sales Order > Selection of Requirements Type Through MRP Group...

See whats the Req Type against your MRP group / Strat Group.. See the Req class against it and so on

Regards

Ajay M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oh i see, it is the same as the one you can see through procurement tab from SO, right?

of all materials, they will all fall into 3 req classes:

- 030 : clear screen in req class

- 050 : clear screen in req class

- 046 : standard setting, account assignment is M

I will do some testing with the new SO first, will get back to you soon, thank you

Regards, Erwin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Solved

Big thanks for all who participated...

Regards, Erwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Erwin, I was wondering what was the fix to the issue you had. I'm facing similar issue. When i do PGI, system hits VAY instead of VAX. The SO is not account assigned. And i did check LIPS-KZVBR is blank.

OMWN-

L
WA012GBBVAX

Appreciate your input

Regards

Siva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Sorry for the late reply.

Check the following:

- Is there any other account assignment? (eg: internal order, etc?)

- what type of CO-PA is active in your system.

BR,

Erwin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erwin-

I am also getting the error message that the COGS account is not a cost element.

I am changing our MTO from non-valuated to valuated using a sales order cost estimate. Everthing seems to work except I do not want to have COGS as a cost element.

Do you know how to get this scenario to work w/o a cost element?

Best Regards

Nick Schmitz