Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Migration

former_member184628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have SAP installed on Windows 2003 R2 SP1(32 bit OS) with MS-sql 2005 as DB.

We are planning to upgrade the hardware of the system, with same OS(32 bit) and DB.

Is it possible to do it with OS level backup?

Best Regards,

Sharib Tasneem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's possible I guess, do you want to do that?.. maybe not..

Your hardware might have a different chipset and you'll find issues with the OS... the best is to install a fresh OS and do an homogeneous system copy.

Regards

Juan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would highly recommend using the homogenous system copy function from SAPINST.exe.

There are too many opportunities for human error in copying a system, and if you are migrating a production system to new hardware, you don't want to miss anything.

On the source system youo will run the source system export steps.

You can use your own backup procedure for the database.

On the target hardware you will first restore the database, then start the target system import steps.

You can find more details on how to perform a system copy on my blog here; http://joeybear23.blogspot.com/2010/10/sap-system-copy-procedure.html

Keep in mind this procedure is adapted for a PRD to QAS refresh, but the majority of the process applies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you want to migrate the SAP system from old server to new server, without installing SAP on server - Possible, but this is kind of hard disk cloning or you can use the same harddisks to the new envroinment and add the SAN paths(if applicable). In this case you need to install all the drivers which is suitable for the new server. (which is not recommended)

If you want to migrate the SAP system from old server to new server - You can do the homogeneous system copy.

You can do the Homogeneous system copy either using the DB backup or copy the datafiles and parameter files to the new server.

Rgds,

JP.