cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using JDBC 2.0 driver for default datasource

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Can I use JDBC 2.0 driver for the default datasource? It seems that after installation of WAS640 JAVA, the default datasource to default java schema is using 1.x JDBC driver. Since I cannot change the JDBC driver for this default datasource and if I want to use JDBC 2.0 feature, it seems that the only way is to create a new datasource other than the default one.

If above is true, will I suffer any built-in features such as using "Open SQL" engine which is only provided by default datasource?

Any pointer and comments is appreciated. Thanks.

Best regards,

Ken

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ken,

Are you interested in SAP training assignment?

If yes, please contact me on aamir_sayed@hotmail.com

Regards,

Aamir Sayed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amir

As you said, where will be training sessions held ? If you can let me know i can think of it.

Cheers

kris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

First of all, which database do you use? Is it MaxDB (the driver for MaxDB is JDBC 1.x compliant)?

You cannot edit the definition of the default datasource because it is used by the system. What you can do is register a new datasource with the relevant JDBC 2.0 driver (if available for the relevant database).

As for Open SQL, you can choose not to use it by setting the SQL Engine option to "Native SQL" in the Additional tab of the datasource definition screen in Visual Administrator; thereby, you will be able to use specific features of the database that are not supported by Open SQL for portability reasons.

You can read more on these and related issues at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/61/fdbc3d16f39e33e10000000a11405a/frameset.htm

Best regards,

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zornitsa,

If I do so, will I loose any features of OpenSQL? I was told that it is always recommended to use OpenSQL. So in thise case, I 'll not be able to use JDBC2.0 and Open SQL for the same datasource. Is that true? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I think I didn't get your point right at first.

As far as I can understand, you want to use the system database (aka Java database schema) but with a JDBC 2.0-compatible datasource and Open SQL support, right?

If so, I would point you to the documentation at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/5f/3a8b14c26349b2ba964707ccceffd8/frameset.htm. It gives an overview of the JDBC features that are currently supported in the Open SQL for Java framework. To use a particular function, which is not in the scope of Open SQL (e.g. a DB-specific statement), you can use Native SQL Access (check the documentation at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/51/ef9f94e4ba894d8e93b2eed7c9f82d/frameset.htm).

Open SQL for Java is used with the Java database schema only. This also enables you to use Java Dictionary, SQLJ, table buffer, statement pooling, SQL trace, and design time checkers in the IDE. If you want to access another DB schema, you will not be able to use Open SQL features.

Hope this is the kind of information you need.

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zornitsa,

Thanks for your reply and you are right. I want to use the system database (aka Java database schema) but with a JDBC 2.0-compatible datasource and Open SQL support.

So according to the pointed document, it seems that it is not allowed to have two OpenSQL datasource in a system, is it? If that is the case, I can only either take OpenSQL or JDBC 2.0 driver (because the default datasource is OpenSQL and JDBC 1.x). Please advise.

Best regards,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Generally, there shouldn’t be a problem to have two datasources with Open SQL support. At least, it’s working for me but with JDBC 1.x–compatible datasources. I haven’t tried this with a JDBC 2.0 datasource.

Best regards,

Zornitsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks your information very much

Best regards,

Ken