cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI on desktop vs GUI on Terminal server bandwidth usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Has anyone done a test comparing the bandwidth usage between using a GUI installed locally on a pc and working on a GUI through a Windows Terminal Server (WTS) session? And how big an improvement can be expected with the "low network connection" option in both the local and WTS installed setup. We have implemented the 720 GUI and are using the default SAP Signature Theme, but even figures for older version would be helpfull.

From personal experience with older versions of the GU and when going through a dail-up connection it has always been faster working directly on the GUI compared with working on the GUI through a WTS sesseion. And logic tells me that even though a WTS session is supposedly only screen refreshes (not sure how many traffic are generated with screen refreshes), it is constantly refreshing whereas when using a direct connection there should only be traffic when enter/execute is clicked.

I vaguely remember that years ago a locally installed GUI generated something like 4 bytes (could even be bits) of traffic, but I could be wrong as it was a long time ago and I cannot seem to find any updated figures anywhere.

Regards

Gideon Joubert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have not tested this.

but I am really confident that screen updates in a terminal server window will use more bandwidth than SAPGUI.

RMW
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

regarding the bandwidth used by SAP GUI connection please refer to the [Front-end Network Requirements for SAP Solutions|http://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700003943521999E] document.

(The navigation path on Service MarketPlace would be http://service.sap.com/sizing > Sizing Guidelines > Solutions & Platforms, then search for the title above).

Best regards

Rolf-Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I have not tested this.

>

> but I am really confident that screen updates in a terminal server window will use more bandwidth than SAPGUI.

I have to agree with Eric.

I do not have specific test results, but I do remote work for multiple clients and can tell you that using the locally-installed GUI is much faster than using Terminal Services or even a Citrix client.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, that is my feeling (and experience) as well. I was hoping to get some figures to back it up but it doesn't seem like anyone has gone through the trouble of doing a proper test.

Regards