Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ftp adaptor temporary file handling problem

jeff_darling2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a situation where we are sending a very large number fo files in a very short time period to an ftp communication channel. We have enabled the use of 'Temporary File' option to ensure the file is written completely before it is processed on the remote end. However we are sending so many files, we are having collisions in our tempory file names!! The collisions occur because even though we are using "Message-ID' as part of the target file name to ensure uniqueness, the temporay file name routine appears to use the format File name + Time stamp. So I have several questions:

1) I am unable to locate anywhere in the configuration to have the tempory file name being used logged to the audit log. Is this possible?

2) Tempory file naming convention - is there any way to override this or change it? To use mesage IDmaybe?

3) SAP documenation about the temporary name format is insistant. Some says it appends the meesage ID, other says it appends a timestamp, and other documentation says nothing about it at all. I can confirm that by default in PI 7.1, it appends the timestamp. As our problems started exactly when we went from XI 3.0 to PI 7.1, did the naming convention change? Or is our new PI machine just working all that much faster that we now have collisions? ))

4) Is anyone aware of documenattion for the values allowed into the 'Temporary File Name scheme'? Can I use a variable there? Without logging available (see #1), this is almost impossible to work on.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jeff_darling2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Francis,

Thank you!. Very helpful, but the bug seems to extend to our version (7.11) as well. But your note led me to these two notes. The first addressing our exact problem (hopefully), and the 2nd addressing the issue temp file using the message id instead of a timestamp.

1509477 Receiver file adapter messages fail with 'Already Exists' er

1131656 Creation of temporary file name with Message ID

Any thoughts on how/where I can find the name of the temporary file being used? Of course once we implement 1131656, it may be moot. Until the next time we have a problem that is )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jeff,

There was a bug in XI3.0 and 7.0 File receiver adapters under high load. It always uses current time stamp for the temperary file name scheme and file used to be overwritten or interlaced.

Later it was resolved by a patch and it uses message id for the temperary file scheme.

check this Note 959406 - XI / PI File Adapter: Messages Are Written Into Same File

A work around mentioned in this note was to use "directly" instead of "temperary file" for the put file option.

regards,

francis