cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data transfer volume is more than actual size

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to transfer last 6 months data from Production system to Quality system.

We have selected last 6 months data which is around 315 GB (unexpected). Then we created a new package and run it again for 1 month only , but still it is showing data transfer volume 315 GB.

Our total database is 440 GB. and in last 6 months, database growth is 70 GB. so practically, Data transfer volume should not be 315 GB.

We have installed DMIS patch level 12.

Please suggest any solution.

- Bhupendra Patel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

suman_pr
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It might be possible that maximum amount of data is stored in Z tables which are by default transferred in Full.

Please check if this is the case and try to reduce them by assigning them a reduction criteria via the activity "Maintain Table Reduction".

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Thanks for prompt reply.

Please find below tables in which DFKKOP and DFKKOPK are bigger.

Conv. Object Table name Size

DFKKOP DFKKOP 72.978.432

DFKKOPK DFKKOPK 68.495.360

ZSIMI_INVOICE ZSIMI_INVOICE 31.243.264

/NYH/CP_TRANS /NYH/CP_TRANS 23.387.136

FKKDEFREV FKKDEFREV 22.867.968

ZCA_2004KKOP ZCA_2004KKOP 22.684.672

DFKKKO DFKKKO 16.335.872

- Bhupendra Patel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

One more thing , in data transfer volume size of DFKKOP is 72 GB forl ast 6 months. but when i check the total table size in db02old, it's showing 48 GB.

- Bhupendra Patel

suman_pr
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bhupendra,

As can be observed, more than 200 GB is occupied by these 7 tables which if am not worng are transferred in Full. In this case, a from date of 6 months doesn't affect since the entire data will be transferred.

In order to reduce the data volume, please either reduce them or if these tables are not required, you may also set them for No Transfer. This way it will be possible to easily bring down the data transfer volume.

The difference in the size of the tables might be caused due to :

a. Database statistics are not up to date in the system

b. The data is held in compressed form at the DB level, etc.

Also, I would also like to inform you that the activity Estimate Data Transfer volume gives only an approximate volume. The actual data transfer volume may vary by a small amount.

Best Regards,

Suman

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

suman_pr
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bhupendra,

To answer that question, you will have to consult the functional experts who would be using these tables and confirm if the chosen reduction criteria is good to go or not. For example, a table might be reduced by date by default but the testers may need all data for a fiscal year. In that case, a differnt reduction criteria would have to be chosen.

Thus, I would suggest to have a discussion with the experts and then proceed ahead with the transfer to avoid problems after the transfer.

Best Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The reason for this behaviour is that TDMS or better the MWB underlying TDMS is not calculating the raw data but the worst case data amount.

So the number of rows multiplied with the fieldsize of each field of the row.

If you have tables with many empty fields the numbers are not really accurate.

To have a better view on the amount i would recommend to check the size of the table (for the top ten tables) and divide it by the number of rows in the table and then multiply it again with the number of rows to be transfered.

Best Regards

Joerg!

Edited by: Joerg Wrage on Sep 29, 2010 2:54 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks suman and joerg for the reply.

I think all 7 table were calculated full. I have reduced size using Maintain table reduction and it is reduced to 101 GB from 315 GB.

As i have reduced table size with the defualt field selection so just wanted to know that will it cause any problem??

Once again thanks a lot.

- Bhupendra Patel