cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating multiple CUP initiators with the same role (sharing roles)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone built a CUP workflow where roles are shared across different workflows/paths/initiators?

We have a situation where the users have several roles that are in multiple SAP applications and they want the requests for these roles to go down different workflows based on which application they were requested for.

For example, if role A is requested for application X1, the request should go down workflow A1. But if the role is requested for application Z1, the request should go down workflow B1 instead.

I've tried using two initiators that have both role and application (role A AND application X1, role A AND application Z1). This works fine as long as only one application/role is put in per request. It sends it down the appropriate workflow, A1 or B1, based on the application and role.

However, if I try to build a request with two entries, one for each role/application combination, I get that "multiple initiators" error message.

I guess technically multiple initiators are found for the request overall, but each role/application has it's own path. It should break this request into two parallel requests, one for each path.

Thanks.

P.S. We are on GRC 5.3 SP 11.2.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Bob,

For what purpose do you need this dividing? For different ways of approving? If so, don't you want to find another solution?

Should these ways be totaly different?

If not so, I agree with Alpesh Parmar. You want to use Role attributes in CUP workflow which are not available in CUP functionality. Unfortunately CUP attributes contain only common parameters for whole request and not certain for roles...

Regards,

Artem Ivashkin

Edited by: Artem Ivashkin on Sep 30, 2010 1:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

So we've run into two CUP restrictions:

1. If you want to allow a request to have entries that can split into multiple parallel workflows, you have to use the role names in your initiators.

2. If you use role names in your initiators, you can't have the same role name in more than one initiators.

So basically you can't share roles across workflows, which is what I have been trying to do.

Is any of this documented some where? Would have saved me several weeks worth of work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bob,

This is good question and a necessary feature in CUP but it is not available currently. I tried to do this but it seems parallel workflow only works at role and role action (keep/add/change) level, it is not available at system/application level. SAP is fixing this in GRC 10.0 so for now, you will have to leave with this.

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alpesh -

Just as a test, I tried changing my initiators to contain only the application, no reference to the role at all. Still got the "multiple initiators" error when I tried to build a request for two applications.

It does appear that the only way to get it to let me build a request that contains entries for separate workflows is to base the initiators on the role name. Which means that roles cannot be shared across workflows (i.e. initiators really).

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

To have parallel workflow in CUP u need to create initiator either on the basis of Role name or on the basis of action of the roles. Apart form these two condition u can not have parallel workflow. It is error out as multiple initiators found.

Kind Regards,

-Srinivasan