cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document types

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

My Client is asking to reduce the number of document types in sap dms.

My Client requirement is,

For example: If there are two plants (Plant A & Plant B) The document type (XYZ) created in the plant A has the same attributes of the document type created inthe Plant B.

My question is can i use the same document type created in plant A to Plant B, but each plant has its own authorizations for particular doucment type.

Plant A has own authorizations for document type (XYZ), but now for plant B can i use the same document type (XYZ) with different authorizations is it possible.

My client needs to reduce the number of document generation in sap DMS. The client is having more than 35 plants.

Kindly help on this issue.

Regards

Kannan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanna,

Yes , it's simple. Keep the plants in authorization groups example: mumbai - MUM,delhi -DEL,chennai-CHN

This will differentiate the documents plantwise. and all other data like document types can be same.

The authorization groups are maintained by basis team in roles. you need to define and give the list to basis while configuring roles plantwise so that the plantwise roles can be created.

Make 35 authorization groups for 35 plants. and your query will get resolved.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

So we can have the same doc type for all plants and they can be classified by their plant authorizations or role, what about the status management for the document types for each plant is there is any change has to be done in the document status levels.

kindly let me know

Regards

kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanna,

Yes, you are right ! There will be no change or effect on document status,it will remain same.

Regards,

Ravindra

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

generally I will prefer Ravindras solution to use the authorization groups. The modification or enhancement of table DRAW will maybe cause serious side-effects and therefore the solution with the standard authorization group function would be better.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

we have authorization group in the document type and what is the use of it whether we will use it; even if i use then i have to maintain 35 authorization groups for the common document type.

But Ravindra could you explain in detail on authorization for this common document type, it is not clear for me. As you said maintain plant in the autorization role and this will classify documents how it is, i dont get u on this part.

Even chirst can join this, plz find me out a solution. Actually this is this the basis part but still i have to give the list and explain them so the work can be done hope u guys understand.

Regards

Kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kanna,

Let me explain in details. Authorization group is the field which is maintained by basis people in roles. There is no other place for configuration as far as dms concern. Now, this field is used to restrict or allow access of document to certain business groups may be department, area, plant,sites ..etc. This depend on your requirement. In your case, you want to restrict the access plant wise. so you can use this field for mainataining plants because of access is plantwise.

No need to maintain separate authorization group for each document types. I think you don't know about roles and authorizations. Let me explain, in roles several document types are maintained under one or multiple authorization groups.

In your case make one plant role and then copy role for each plant , only authorization group will change. Means you need to maintain 35 authorization groups for 35 plants. but not for each document type. Basis guy can show you live demo for this if possible try in IDES or SANDBOX .

I hope this will resolve the query.

Regards,

Ravindra

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can use the same document type for different plants.

You can keep some identifiers to group the documents according to your plant type.May be you can add a include structure to the draw table with your own zfields.

Regards

Keerthi