Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all SAP & Oracle Experts

Greetings for the day.

How much time it will take to finish the whole offline+redo log backup. the size of the database is 200 GB.and how do i notify that it has finished successfully.as i cant login @ SAP level.i mean where to get log information.particular file name.

My system Configuration is as mentioned below.

HP server Rx 6600

Itanium 2

1.42 G Hz 23.9 GB of RAM

Thanks and regards

Rafiq

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You have not mentioned the backup device type (Is it tape or disk). If its a tape backup then it should not take more than 2 hrs to complete a backup of database size 200 GB(again it depends on the tape drive/firware also).

You can check the backup logs in the path /oracle/<SID>/sapbackup at the OS level before u start the SAP instance.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Varadharajan M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

pls check ps -ef|grep brbackup from root,

It will show still backup is running or not .

Regards

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to All experts.

well thanks for all the needful help.

the offline backup has been successful.

It took 03:06:31 to complete.

Thanks and best regards.

Rafique

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

well when you can not login, the system seems not to be up again yet

When you can loging again you can check transaction DB12 if it was OK.

200GB can be backed up in any range from 30 minutes to 6 hours, depending on backup infrastructure.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I had used backup_device_type=disk and my database size was around 187gigs.This took about 8-10 hours with direct brbackup command at the level.

Before you begin and If you have access to the os, would suggest you to run the brbackup command with the -q option to check if the actual command works.

Thanks,

Prasanna

Edited by: Prasanna K on Sep 27, 2010 10:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How much time it will take to finish the whole offline+redo log backup. the size of the database is 200 GB

It purely depends upon how you are taking backup and what is the speed you are getting for copying.

how do i notify that it has finished successfully.as i cant login @ SAP level.i mean where to get log information.particular file name.

If you are using brtools for backup you can always check the logs in sapbackup directory

In windows: <installation drive>/oracle/SID/sapbackup (look for latest updated file)

In unix:/oracle/SID/sapbackup (look for latest updated file)

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can you schedule a offline backup without having access to the O/S..

Are you Basis ?

Mark