cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time out while extracting Supplier data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to extract suppliers' master data from R3 system and load to SPM but unfortunately due to huge number of records the extractor is getting timed out.

I have already thought of background scheduling it but I just wanted to know if something else can be done to avoid it, like anything to do with the package size?

Please let me know your views.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Archana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Archana

What is the purpose of your exercise?

Are you playing around with the SPM extractor starter kit, trying to gain expertise?

If thats the case then you may, inorder to get around the time out issue, limit the extracted record size by adding filters on time or some other dimension. Easiest way to do that is in the where clause.

If this is for productions issue, then it is actually recommended that you do this in the background, regardless of whether you are extracting in flat files or thru the BW data sources. Extraction times are hugely dependent on the hardware capabilities, BASIS settings, data voumes available processes at the time of extraction etc. Its never a good idea to do the extraction synchronously.

Regards

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

I am not playing around rather I have a serious issue at hand :).

Anyway thanks for your reply. I have already thought of scheduling it in background and have already done some filtering as well.

I was just wondering if doing something with package size will help.

Previously I maintained no value for package size in the config table ZSA_FFCUSTTABL.

I am fetching supplier from master table LFA1 and there are still over 1 lac records so I entered package size as 7000 but this also did not help.

Do you think package size is of much use when avoiding time out is concerned?

Regards

Archana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Archana,

Setting the right package size is pretty critical to data extraction. Also figuring out the right package size is not easy, you might have to try a few iterations to see what works for you system.

Depending on how you are extracting data (Direct datasource or flat file), use the property to set the right package size.

For direct datasource extraction - On BI infopackage under menu Scheduler -> 'DataService Default data transfer'

For flat file extraction - Table ZSA_FFCUSTTABL on source side

Also there was an article posted on this

/people/divyesh.jain/blog/2010/07/20/package-size-in-spend-performance-management-extraction

Regards,

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Archana

I was using the playing around expression to mean, testing and trying out the starter kit in preparation of productive use and not for actual productive use itself. Hope that clarifies.

Yes, as Rohit explained (also explained in detail in the blog link), the package size has a significant impact on the extraction time.

And again, for any kind of productive/prototyping use, the official recommendation is to run it in the background, because you never know when time out might disrupt the output file thats being generated resulting in an incorrect output.

Regards

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Rohit and Rajesh,

Thanks for your replies.

After few trials I got the right package size to avoid time out issue for supplier extraction.

Package size of 18000 worked for 80000-100000 records.

Regards

Archana

Answers (0)