Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create new universe min.requirements

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

can any one tell me if we want to create a new universe from scratch what are the minimum or basic steps we should be consider and what type of data model we should use and why? tell me if i miss any thing tell me...... i am learner

regards,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is your database??

Oracle:

1. Open Universe Designer --> After successful log-in.

2. Name the Universe

3. Connection parameter --->> Click New

Now you can see Connection wizard

4. Next-->>

5. In list of Datasources -->> Select Oracle or any datasource(which you have)

6. user credentials and Service Name (You can findit in TNSNAMES.ora file -- only incase of Oracle)

7. Next--Next --Finish

8. Go to Universe Structure pane...

Right-click ===>> Import Tables.(as many you need)

and Join those tables like any schema (STAR, Snow-flake etc...,)

9. Create your classes and objects

10. Export to repository.

Above steps if you are working with Oracle.

Steps may vary in case of other datasources (Exactly from Step:6)

MS-Access/ Excel and SQL Server , you have to create DSN(Data Source Name).

Hope it clears your doubts.

Good luck...

Thank You!!

Edited by: BOCP-BOE on Sep 28, 2010 7:22 PM

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hy Dave,

Thanks for the information for every thing.

I know how to create a Universe but before that how we should design data model in star schema or etc..... i am unable to do that because i am not much good about the DB concepts. What u said every thing I will agree with U. But, still i did not not solve my problem .

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't believe you will solve your current issue in this forum, it's simply not the place for a full-fledged training course on database design. I mean that in a friendly way. There are wiki pages (here and elsewhere) that cover some of the basics of star schema design. There are other articles that discuss ETL strategies for loading such a design. There are very likely training courses (SAP or otherwise) that you can investigate. There are plenty of books on the subject. Google can be your friend in this area, and I wish you luck in your search.

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

Yes Sure!!...

may i know what your Id so it easy to contact regarding some others issues... it can be free wen using private id than public id

u send me my private id which it is on my business card......

Thanking you help me in this....... every thing.....

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I participate in the forums specifically because it can help more than one person who might be reading the topic. I don't offer private support because it's not effective or efficient, and I do have a day job.

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

thanks Dave for ur support.

have guud day!!!!!!!!

ravi

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member59816
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

To create a Universe you need install the BOE client and Server first and then you can connect to the different Data bases to create a Universe.

For more information, you can refer the below link on Universe Desinger:

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/xi31_designer_en.pdf

Thanks,

Noor.

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hy Sayyad !

Yea I am installed BO XI R3 i am asking you that what are the Steps to be considered to build a Universe what type of data model We should Use.

regards

ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use any data model you like. That's part of the power of BusinessObjects is that it does not require any specific data model in order to work. Some are going to be more simple than others, of course. But you can do everything from a basic star or snowflake up to and including a fully normalized application data model.

If you're just learning, I suggest you start with a star schema, single fact, and use that as your baseline. You can then add additional facts or dimensions and see how that impacts your universe, and what changes are required.

If you have an option to take the standard Designer course (it's three days) it's quite good.

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

Yes, I am still in beginner & learning the the Business Objects as u said can i design a STAR SCHEMA with min 1 FACT AND 5 DIMENSIONS TABLES what are the steps to be taken before creating a STAR SCHEMA I dnt have much idea on the DB Part can i design a star schema model can u tell me some tips to design this........ actually where we design the data model in oracle DB if we r using back end as oracle there we do here it self or we do in the DESIGNER. IT will help me a lot if you share this with me....

Thanks & Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can start with the Microsoft Access databases provided with the standard samples, that way you don't have to design your database from scratch. Or any sample Access database for that matter.

former_member211527
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

yes, thank U.

tell me how to start designing the star schema in the ms access data base or there is any URL or example or there to look into & study about this....

Or directly we build Connection with the Designer it self..... assign the DB it self ......

every thing thanks from Ur side.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi, with all due respect, there is not enough time for me to provide information on how to design and build a star schema by answering questions on a forum. There are many pages of resources on the Internet that discuss such things. If you have a specific question about working with Designer on top of such a schema once you have built one, then you are more than welcome to post such questions here.