cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Desktop Vs Engg. Desktop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

What is the main difference btwn CAD desktop and Engg. desktop?

which one would be better to use for CAD integration with all cad tools?

Thank You,

Manoj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a client that has SAP ECC 6.0 and SolidWorks, currently NOT integrated. I want to integrate SAP to SolidWorks using CAD Desktop (CDESK) and DMS (with a bigger Content Server). Do I really need any other middleware, such as Cideon, to accomplis the connection? Or can I do this simply with CDESK BADI's.? Do I need any additional license? Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anil,

You should be requiring the interface provided by Cideon without which you cannot establish the link. They will be supporting you with various java files and .dll files without which you can use the CAD Interface functionality. They also give you configuration files (.CFGfiles) and cadrfc.ini files with which you need to configure based on the client requirement. Consultant who will be working on CAD Integration should focus on these cfg files and Cdesk_cus settings and configure effectively to suit the business.

Regards,

SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Engineering Desktop is used to transfer CAD structures between a CAD system and SAP PLM solutions. You can then process the structures in E-desktop and from there, create either material BOMs or iPPE variant assemblies.

To use Engineering Desktop, you need to use an external CAD system and a corresponding SAP CAD integration via Web services or have set up an RFC connection. Once CAD integration is setup, it appears as a pull down menu in the CAD system which enable transfer of documents to SAP PLM. (Advantage is that the designer/user will remain in the CAD environment itself).For more information, see SAP Service Marketplace.

E-desktop supports the following CAD systems:

Pro/Engineer,CATIA,Inventor,AutoCAD,SolidEdge,SolidWorks etc.

If you want to use E-desktop you must decide if you wish to create iPPE product structures or classical material BOMs.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I was checking for Engineering desktop help and i checked your e-mail chain.

I need some help in this one, we are going to use the engineering desktop for our client. One important thing is that we are not going to use any cad integration.

What wee need is to

1. Bulk load the stuff into engineering desktop( we will ger some .extension files from user, which we need to upload to E-Desktop).

2. Create and upload BOM/Material in Engineering Desktop.

Thanks in advance,

Tarun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

There is no far difference , only check which application supports. For SAP DMS there is not any difference between two.

You may user CAD or Engg desktop which can make your business ease. Both can be integarted with SAP DMS.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Ravindra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

both support almost all cad tools..but need to understand the exact difference depending upon which the selection can be made.

Thank You,

Manoj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Engineering Desktop is for IPPE.

For CAD Integration CAD Desktop only has to be used.

CAD desktop is used for integration with all CAD Tools and some CAD Tools have a seperate GUI also which is almost equal to the CAD Desktop.

Regards

Prasad K