cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

passing parameters to another application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I'd like to use the Visual Composer for the following task: I want to create a form in Visual Composer where I can enter values, e.g. height, length. Then, I want to pass these parameters as input parameters to another external software that itself will execute a calculation and then return the results to Visual Composer. I want to display the results in Visual Composer.

As far as I can see, it is not possible to pass parameters to an external software or to connect an external application (not a data base) to the Visual Composer. Am I wrong? If it is possible, how can I realize it?

Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try the document

"How to Integrate Visual Composer Applications and BEx Web Templates"

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/visualcomposer?rid=/library/uuid/16244247-0a01-0010-3294-d81c21e7e86...

This gives a glimpse of how different applications can interact in a VC application.

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario!

Thank you very much for your answer. I read the document but I still doubt if I can solve the problem I described. The application that I want to connect to Visual Composer is neither the Bex Web Application Designer nor a SAP application at all.

I wondered if defining a web service system in Visual Composer would be the right way to go?

Anyway, I do need to ascertain if the Visual Composer can create output parameters in the syntax that the external software interface requires and if the Visual Composer can handle the corresponding input parameters that the external software will return.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not an expert, but you can define with each of your VC applications input and output ports. That's what this document describes and how it interacts with other applications. I am not sure about the format, you would probably have to create a webservice to "reformat the values". Having done this it should be easy to have another webservice that exposes the result of the external application.

You can also use HTML-View (embedded in your VC application) to pass parameters to an external application (as URL paramters). But I think you cannot get the value back, except your application writes the data in a DB and you use a JDBC-connection to retrieve it back into your VC application.

Mario

gregory_root
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You can use web services. Just search on "web service" in this forum.

Also, here is a starting point thread:

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member193545
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi the data passed from a VC end point in the epcm event is passed as an XML string. This is an example of the data.

Single parameter named paramsXmlStr

This parameter will contain xml string. Unescape is needed.

For example:

<Params><Row BANK_CTRY="US" MAX_ROW="10"></Row></Params>

Or

<Params>

<Row BANK_KEY="111" BANK_NAME="aaa"></Row>

<Row BANK_KEY="222" BANK_NAME="bbb"></Row>

<Row BANK_KEY="333" BANK_NAME="ccc"></Row>

</Params>

Your application needs to parse this xml string to get the daya.

Jarrod Williams

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do this with the portal eventing framework. Use signal out from VC. Either subscribe to this eventing framework using javascript or java in your external application or create a webdynpro application that will take this event and send it to the other application however it may be needed.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have built a web application with can accept parameters passed out from Visual Composer using Signal out. But I have a problem when passing parameters from my application to VC. My application can fire events which can be caught by VBScript functions. Within the VB function, I call a JavaScript function which raise an event. Here's a code sample:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">

Sub foo(ByVal evtType, ByVal args)

call doFoo(args)

end sub

</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

function doFoo(value) {

var extvalue = "<Params version='2' ><Row lblYear='" + value + "' /></Params>";

EPCMPROXY.raiseEvent( "urn:com.sap.vc:epcm", "Filter1", extvalue, null );

}

</SCRIPT>

The problem is that after I deploy my application on the portal and created an IView for it. And put the IView and the Visual Composer, I got an error message "Type Mismatch" at the line "call doFoo(args)" on the above sample code. But when I just manually raise the event with Javascript, everything works fine and the result is displayed in the Visual Composer without problem.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Thanks for the help.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Problem solved by added some newlines in my web application.