cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to schedule batch jobs...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're planning to implement many scheduled batch jobs for PI, but we're not sure

where to create the scheduled jobs... in PI? or in ECC?

Let's say I need to send data from ECC to database once everyday.

We already have RFC (RFC #1) in ECC to get the data.

option1: I can create a new RFC in PI and call RFC (RFC #1) in ECC to get the data... and schedule the RFC in PI.

option 2: Or, I can create a new RFC in ECC and call the other RFC (RFC #1) in ECC to get the data and schedule the new RFC.

Any recommendations?

What would happen to option 1 and option 2 if PI is down or ECC is down?

Which option will handle the exceptions better?

Thanks for your help.

-Won

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

U always scehdule a job at ur triggering system which is going to send data.

For example - For scheduling the RFC as per my knowledge u have to call the RFC from that report and schedule that report.

In case of File adapter - where XI going to poll the file in that case File adapter needs to be schedule......

Thnx

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Chirag,

U always scehdule a job at ur triggering system which is going to send data.

I don't agree with you completely. For example: for a sender web service, which needs to be scheduled, you can schedule the job in ECC to call the service. So, not in all the situations you can use the sending system as the triggering point

Former Member
0 Kudos

U r talking about sync scenario again in which ur triggering system is ECC hence ofcourse u have to schedule a job in ECC end.

Ur requesting info from web service but here triggering point is ECC based on ECC input web service is sending data.....

I hope its clear now.

chirag

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Chirag,

No ... I was not referring to sync communication. Consider a simple SOAP -> PI -> JDBC scenario. If you want to schedule the web service, then either you can do it at the source or schedule it in ECC.

In my 8 years of XI / PI experience, rarely I have seen that scheduling for the above scenario has been done at the source, mainly due to some restrictions or constraints.

Hope this clears my point.

Former Member
0 Kudos

where to create the scheduled jobs... in PI? or in ECC?

ECC.

What would happen to option 1 and option 2 if PI is down or ECC is down?

Scheduled job won't run. Any production goes down with due notice (unless it a power failure or some unforeseen situation), so you can come up with a strategy in the event ECC prod will be going down.

Which option will handle the exceptions better?

Well, scheduling is a simple process ... why you want to make it complex by introducing exceptions etc.? Any business requirement ... ? Please elaborate.