cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new Test environment using consistent flat file backup of PRD

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

We are in the process of deploying on SQL server 2005 (R/3 enterprise 4.7 ext 110) -

We use and EMC snap mirror backup once a week where we:

Shut down SAP and SQL Server on PRD: snap off copy of replicated DB disks when SAP is down.

Our SQL database and log files are replicated to a remote disk set.

We then take this snap off copy and back up to tape.

Basically, in the case of DR, we need to rebuild our PRD database in a remote site using the replicated PRD DB disks.

I have 2 questions:

The DR process willl be manual in so far as that we need to create a 'new' PRD database and attach our replicated disks to it - is this possible in SQL server, could this process be described to me please?

Also, when we refresh our Test and QA systems, we want to use this snap off copy of PRD - how can we attach the PRD mdf files to QA and then rename the database from PRD to QA ?

Sorry for convoluted question - hope somebody out there can give me a bit of guidance.

Regards

Conor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For what you are asking, there is not an easy step-by-step, but here are some pointers that should help you:

Question 1.

- When creating your DR system, go through the SAP install process to create the system with the same name.

- Remember that your DR system cannot be up and live inside the same windows domain as the current system, since you will need it to have the same server name, SID and IP address in order to make your manual failover process work best.

- You will want to make sure to always keep the DR system up-to-date with the production system in regards to kernel, profiles and parameters, OS patch levels, etc. In other words, make sure that the DR system is an exact mirror of the production system that you will only need to restore a SQL backup to in the event of a failure.

Question 2.

- When refreshing your QA and test systems, the basic steps are to backup your production system, restore it over your target system, then localize your target system. The first two steps are the easy ones, you can even automate those with fairly simple scripts like I have here: http://joeybear23.blogspot.com/2008/02/restore-qas-from-prd-backup.html

- Backup production system using whatever method you prefer

- Restore over the target system. If you use SQL Server backup/restore functionality, use the "force over existing database" option. If you want to detach/attach the data files just make sure to rename the DB when you are done.

- To begin the localization step, you will want to use the SAP-supplied process under "Software Lifecycle > System Copy" in the tool SAPINST.exe. Then you will need to make sure to run BDLS, which will let you replace all references to the previous logical system with the new logical system name. You will want to make sure any ALE/RFC connections you have are changed to point to the correct systems, etc.

In order to get an exact procedure down, you will need to test it multiple times in the lab to work out the kinks.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brilliant stuff thanks Joey Bear - you are a God among Men

OSS note 151603 is useful also.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glad I could be of some help.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Connor,

For the both procedures you can apply note [151603|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/151603].

Regards,

Eduardo