Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages or disadvantages rest ful or soap webservices

AntonPierhagen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi all.

For a project we need to build a couple of webservices. I am finding out what type of webservice is the best to use.

Restful or SOAP webservices.

Does anybody have experience with these 2? And why have you chosen for Restful webservices or SOAP webservices?

kind regards,

Anton Pierhage

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anton,

This is discussion that has been had many times, not just the SAP environment but in general too.

I believe that both have merit & a hybrid (using ROA & SOA) makes more sense to me, I've even blogged about it [here|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/20634] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];. The truth of the matter though is that SOA adoption by business is more large scale & has resulted in many companies adopting SOA rather than ROA & for some strange reason it has to be one OR the other & not both.

An example, I would happily use ROA for document management solutions to capitalise on the caching functionality & reduce resource overhead in certain areas.

Large software vendors like SAP have also adopted the SOA approach primarily because of large scale business adoption but SAP also offers RestFUL functionality (there are quite a few blogs here on SDN on the subject).

Regards, Trevor

Answers (0)