cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Service Variant?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I saw a thread on Service variant and i have same requirement.

The difference is just that in this thread person is using Standard Web service where as for me i am going to create custome web service.

But for my custom Enterprise service, 1 consumer wants just 10 fields out of 100 where as otherone wants all 100 fields as response.

I tried to access link from this thread but it says page can not be displayed that is y i am opening new thread.

I am trying to access the above thread.

Again i need to know that , is this same concept is applicable for the custom web services or not?

Because for me I have to create one custome Enterprise service which will have around 100 fields.

One of the consumer wants just 10 fields where as the otherone wants all the fields as response.

I am new to SOA also so if possible please let me know what all the configuration steps i need to do if i want to use SAP PI also in this? Specially ID steps.

Thanks,

Hetal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hetal,

It looks like the link has been removed. Maybe SAP Teched this year will have a feature, not sure.

As far as I know, it's applicable to all web services. I haven't worked with it but just an educated guess, probably minimal deviation from a standard Soap to Proxy scenario if SAP PI is the mediator.

There's almost zero documentation on it & there little that there was looks like it's been rmoved. You could still Google "Service Variants for Lean consumption" & it will return tidbits of info & all referred to as "Planned".

Regards, Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

I tried to find the other day on Google but failed to find anything.

I dont even have idea that you have to do it in ECC or in ESR.

One more thing, just want to know, if we use SOA here and publish ECC proxy as Web Service, then on Consumer side we have to use SOAP adapter. But not sure what url we need to give in SOAP adapter.

Is it same as the Web Service URL published in SR for ECC Proxy from PI?

If yes then consumer needs to send the exact WSDL request with 100s of fields and get response as 100s of fields.

How can we limit it?

Thanks,

Hetal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hetal,

Service Variants is ECC (Abap) functionality as Avishek mentioned to you [here|;. You could also go the PI route as a 'Service Variant' workaround as Gourav has suggested above.

The SR is not used at runtime, it's used during design time for service discovery & WSDL Rather use the URL that you find for the service in SOAMANAGER (URL for selected binding) on the consumer side.

You should definitely do a test scenario yourself using an ECC web service / enterprise service using SoapUI or XMLSpy or you Soap client of choice to see what the results are of the request & response. The consumer should only need to send the mandatory parameters (as a bare minimum) in the request & there is generally only a handful of mandatory parameters for Enterprise Services on the request & reponse structures. So what you'll get back on the response is only the mandatory parameters plus any other parameters the provider supplies values for.

Please also refrain from cross posting & posting the same questions mutiple times.

Regards, Trevor

Edited by: Trevor Naidoo on Sep 27, 2010 9:49 AM

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Discussion is going on another in thread:

It seems "Service Variant" feature is not yet available.

Edited by: Gourav Khare on Sep 25, 2010 12:42 AM