cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating business views from crystal reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the Business Objects Enterprise environment. We are currently in the process of setting up the BOE in our landscape. I have a few reports written using crystal reports 2008 based out of SAP function modules to support all our reporting needs. The reports are executed on the client machine as of now. Due to the complexity of the underlying data, it takes a while to load up all the filters in the report since the FM is processed before the filters are displayed.

Is it possible to create business views based out of the current reports stored in the client machine? I would like the underlying report objects to remain intact or do I have to redesign the reports. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Vinnie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Are you accesing an SAP R/3 system. If you do I would recommend to consider using InfoSets for getting the data out of the backend system. The advantage of this method is that you can preselect the data at the R/3 side using InfoSet queries with selection variables.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends how your Crysta Reports in 2008 were designed. If they have common parameters across all the reports then it will be easy to maintan Business Views and without much modifications you can use the reports without issues.

Also, to improve the performance, schedule the LOV's overnight in Business View.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We didn't have a BOE set up initially. So we first created all the reports with the dynamic parameters based out of the function modules.Most of the filters are same through out the reports.

As per our current design, we would have to refresh/requery the report everytime to get the list of parameters since the reports are run locally. We just got the BOE set up recently after all the report design work; can we create LOVs based on BV at this stage. What would be the best approach to follow now? The manuals say the crystal reports are designed based on these views. But since our report development is already complete, how can we use the view manager to leverage its capabilities on these reports? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

V

Edited by: Vinnie_uic on Nov 24, 2010 7:35 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinnie,

Please correct me if I misunderstood you. It sounds like you did not create the LOV in Business View Manager first. If it is correct, and if you are going to run your Crystal reports in Infoview, you might need to re-create all the LOV in Business View Manager. This will prevent any out-of-sync issue.

Once you created the LOV in Business View Manager, you can go back to the Crystal report and point the dynamic prompt to this new LOV.

Hope this helps.

-

If you are using the SAP BusinessObjects tool, you should join [ASUG|www.asug.com]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Simon,

Thanks for getting back. After the BOBJ landscape got set up, I uploaded all these reports in the enterprise. The Business Views were set up by the enterprise for the dynamic parameters alone during the upload; I didnt create them. I did not create the LOVs either.

I would like the list of values for the dynamic parameters for these reports to be displayed alphabetically. To get this, do i need to manually create a LOV in the business view manager and delete all the existing business views which was created by the enterprise?

Thank you