cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why upgrade from Compliance Calibrator to GRC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts- My company has yet to implement GRC 5.3. We already utilize SAP Compliance Calibrator by Virsa Systems 4.0, which works fine, so what would be the benefit of upgrading to GRC? Is it really necessary? Is it just to stay current? Also, is it true that GRC will be moving from Java back to an ABAP stack? If so, when is the new ABAP version of GRC set to be available?

Thanks for your advice and opinions.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kelsi,

i will not recommend you shift to RAR from CC 4.0.

reason JAVA stack is very unstable and as you can see thread in forum about bugs in latest support pack. it's not very stable product.

my suggestion would be use Compliance Calibrator and Firefighter on ABAP side and for user provising you can use CUP.

CUP is very stable. depends how many user your org have, decide if you need CUP.

it will better you migrate directly GRC 2010, which per my understanding will be totoally on ABAB stack and hence more stable.

hope it help.

Regards,

Surpreet

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kelsi,

I totally agree with Alpesh here. AC5.3 will be around for much longer and in terms of feature its also better. As far as stability goes, i believe GRC ABAP also had its fair share of bugs so this can not be attribute to the platform.

As for AC10.0, it will have entirely different architecture than previous releases and will be based on ABAP Webdynpro. Also, AC5.3 has matured a lot now (if i can say so) where AC10.0 will take its own time to reach that stage.

Regards, Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

As I mentioned earlier, I will fully recommend moving AC 5.3. Every product has bugs but it is far stable and better version than CC 4.0. On top of it, CC 4.0 resides and affects your SAP systems where as AC 5.3 uses its own server and would not affect SAP.

AC 10.0 will go on ramp-up around Dec'10 and will be most probably available for GA during second half of 2011. I would not recommend you to jump on AC 10 as it may not as stable as CC 4.0 or AC 5.3 at the time of release.

Alpesh

simon_persin4
Contributor
0 Kudos

Regarding the upgrade from 4.0 to 5.3 I concur with Alpesh and Varun.

Regarding the upgrade to 10.0, current plans are for Ramp-up to be available in December 2010 with general release scheduled for mid 2011.

According to the latest material from SAP, they are only supporting a migration path as follows:

4.0 -->5.3 --> 10.0

There is no supported upgrade path from 4.0 directly to 10.0.

It should be noted that it is a significant change in architecture and therefore not a simple migration path. SAP are recommending an upgrade to 5.3 followed by a migration to 10.0 for the technical side of things.

5.3 does still have some significant advantages over 4.0 and therefore is still an option. owever, if you wish to register your interest, SAP are seeking ramp up customers so I would suggest you contact your Consultants or account management within SAP to discuss the options if you are considering it.

Simon

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The list of enhancements / new features from 4.0 to 5.3 is many hundred items long.

Not only is 5.3 significantly faster, it also allows you to implement consistent processes around access requests with preventive controls.

I like what I have seen in 10.0 so far, so if all you're using now is RAR and you're willing to do a RampUp I'm sure it's worth the investment. It may save you the effort of another migration later.

An Upgrade from CC 4.0 to 10.0 is mainly about getting existing risk definitions and mitigating controls into the new system. While officially this should go via 5.3, I'm sure if it's only risks and mitigations there may be a shortcut.

Frank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kelsi,

There are lots of advantages of moving from CC 4.0 to AC 5.3. SAP is not enhancing CC 4.0 but they are still enhancing AC 5.3. Also, CC 4.0 support will stop in 2012 where as AC 5.3 will be supported till 2015.

Yes, SAP is moving to ABAP version (GRC 10.0) but that will be totally different from CC 4.0 and I really can not comment on the availability of the GRC 10.0.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alpesh,

Do you have any information regarding ramp-up for AC 10.0?

regards,

vit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vit,

It should start by Dec 2010 but there can be delays as well.

Regards, Varun