cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hierarchies Not Visible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I built a "master" universe from a number of smaller universes, and used the "Include" functionality as opposed to leaving them linked. I've setup Custom Hierarchies in the universe but these are invisible to WEBI and none of my selected Dimensions appear to be drillable when using this functionality. When I look at the Hierarchy tool in Universe Designer, all of the default Hierarchies are present, and I'm able to create custome hierarchies. When reporting though it appears that my universe doesn't contain any Hierarchies (using "display by hierarchies" option) - custom or default - they just don't appear in WEBI.

Anyone seen this before?

Kind Regards and Many Thanks,

NMG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First comment: when you create your first custom hierarchy, all of your default hierarchies are invalidated. They no longer work, nor will they be visible in your reporting tool. That doesn't, however, explain why your custom hierarchies are not visible. You said you included the smaller universes, so that would mean that everything in your current universe is local to that universe, is that correct? All of the tables, joins, classes, objects, and so on that were originally in the "child" universes are now in the parent universe? Because child hierarchies will not show up in a parent universe at all. Hierarchies and Contexts are two universe features that cannot come across a link.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

You're correct, everything has been 'included' in the master universe, and no hierachies appear in the reporting tool at all, despite me trying both default hierarchies and custom hierarchies.

(side note: I would assume that once you've 'included' other universes in the main universe, that default hierarchies would apply again according to your classes and dimensions?)

Thanks for your help so far, happy to receive any suggestions. Fear I may have to suck it up and rebuild the universe from scratch.

Kind Regards,

NMG

Former Member
0 Kudos

What version are you using? I have both XI R2 and XI 3.1 available to test, I would like to try to replicate your problem.

I would stop short of rebuilding your universes. What I would try first is removing all custom hierarchies (after documenting their contents, of course, so you can recreate them) and see if your default hierarchies show up. If they do not, then I might take a look in CMC and see if there is something specific to this universe that has disabled drilling. If the default hierarchies do show up, then I would recreate the custom hierarchies.

I would also try a new "test" universe that does not include linked (included) content and see if the default hierarchies show up. Once you have verified that, create a custom hierarchy and see what the results are for that simple universe. This would also help test and see if there is a CMC restriction on your user account that prevents drilling.

You may have tried some of these steps already, but that's how I would approach the debugging process. You have an interesting puzzle.

Answers (0)