Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report for Print tracking

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We want to track the username and no. of times that a particular SAP report has been printed so as to avoid wastage of stationaries.

I have tried a lot with no fruitful results. Please suggest.

with best regards,

Sandy

5 REPLIES 5

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suggest you investigate output management solutions for paper saving measures. Oddly enough printer manufacturers seem to have the better software packages for this.

I doubt if there's anything within SAP that'll help you with output management at such a detailed level.

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Sandy,

You can get spool statistics from transactions SPAD and ST03. In SPAD click on Admin and then click on Print Request Overview. That will give you some stats on print and spool requests. You can display de data by user, printer, etc.

In ST03, double click on Spool Statistics. There you can see number of requests, pages, response time, size of the printout, and a lot more spool activity information.

Another workaround for getting the stats you need.

There is one requirement: you must have the spool requests present in your system for the statistical analysis you want to make. That means that you are not deleting the spool request after the printout.

If you have them, proceed as follows: Go to SP01 and display the spool requests for the client/user/date/etc... that you want. Then, go to the menu Settings -> Layout -> Current and add the columns: "Output device" and "Host printer" to the left side of the screen. Click Ok. That will show you all the printouts for the selection options. There, you can create totals and subtotals by user, date, printer (for LOCL, you need the host printer column). You can download the contents of the list to an excel file and create your own statistics.

If the workaround above does not work for you, you can enable the spool job statistics, but it means that if you did not have it enabled you cannot retrieve statistics from the past, because the statistics are created when the spool request is deleted by program RSPO1041. Please check the procedure to activate the spool statistics in the online documentation, for instance at:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_470/helpdata/en/e0/989de87a6111d39a1d0000e83dd9fc/frameset.htm

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

I stand corrected.

But as soon as I found out people where checking on me through the print spool I'd start downloading the spoolfiles and do the repetitive printing (for which I, as every user, have very good reasons) straight from my desktop PC

I still think paper wastage issues should be addressed at the printing end of the process.

0 Kudos

yes - agree. Just wanted to point out some 'abap-possibilities'...

b.rgds, Bernhard

0 Kudos

I agree with you, but also with Bernhard and the OP if there is a possibility. S_GUI is a very central check within SAP so other external permissions for the client applications need to be used if these fail.

It does still make sense to keep data in it's source, protect realtime access to it and monitor use of it.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Sep 22, 2010 9:33 AM

Unnecessary comments removed.