cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPM column width in list UI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

how can I change the width of the columns in the List UI? I'm using the interface IF_FPM_GUIBB_LIST.

kind regards,

Pieter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

maybe someone have an answer now?

ulrich_miller
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi colleagues,
you can adjust the with either via feeder class (IF_FPM_GUIBB_LIST~GET_DEFINITION, parameter

et_field_description, attribute width) or via configuration (column schema, attribute width).

I recommend to do it via configuration, thus anybody can adjust it later on with ease according to their needs be making a customizing for that configuration.

If the width is there in feeder class + configuration, the configuration will win.

There are a few things to keep in mind:

-> always assign a width to all columns

-> always use a unit for your column width: There exists the following units; %, em, px. E. g. "100px" means

100 pixel, em stands for the width of appr. one letter and % is of course relative.

-> I recommend to use a absoulte unit for the width, i. e. em or px.

-> In the configuration, general settings, there is the flag "fit columns to table width". This one can be
    used in the following ways:

-> active: All columns will be squeezed into the available table space, i. e. no horitontal scrollbar will
        appear.

-> not active: All columns will use the width they need / they have assigned. If the table space is

not sufficient, then a horizontal scrollbar will appear.

-> this setting can also be done by the user via perso dialog.

Cheers,

Ulrich

Uli_42
Participant
0 Kudos

Hy Ulrich,

thanks a lot.

The confusing setting is:

"fit columns to table width" and it needs urgently an explanation on the Configuration screen.

(I expected it to be far more "intelligent" than i thought , so it would try to reflect the settings made in a wy, always all data are accessible )

If i set the flag and the size of the window is too small to show all columns, not all columns are displayed  and no horizontal scroll bar appears->information is not accessible.

For having a nice appearance for the normal size of users screens:

i'd have to set fixed width for  fixed columns and percentage sizes for all others and don't flag  the  option to fit to the table.

But: As i cannot just drag the width to the expecetd size on runtime and then save this instead in a personalization in the customizing or Configuration
, i have to try do6zens of try and error loops  -> That's relay a wasit of time.

I'd suggest a functionality like in Personalization, also for config and customization.

Also a function to convert the fixed width in precentages (adn vice versa) for the current screen size would help a lot:

Then you'd be really fast: Drag the Columns as you want to have it -> save it in Configuration/Customization -> Choose to let the current width to be converted into : Fix or percentage . ready.

ulrich_miller
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ulrich,
ah one thing I forgot to say: You should not mix units regarding column width. So for example if you maintain column in the configuration:

- assign a width to all columns

- use the same unit for all columns

- do not mix absolute units with relative unit, i. e. percent.

Still I am not sure what is it that you would like to achieve in detail?

Kind regards,
Ulrich

Uli_42
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ulrich,

Come on.

You really don't get me?

Not even, that adjusting the widths without having a real WYSIWYG Editor for that task is a nightmare?

Mixing fixed and precentage width would be the best way for most of all lists to present to a user.

If you fix a column at the beginning of the List, you normaly also want to see the content full size -> therefore you'll need a fixed width.

All other columns should try to resize with the Size of the window.

Working with the options given is quite ok, for the most cases, but not really good.

Adjusting the Column width in loops of changing the width of every column , rerunning and then readjust all width is very time consuming.

A Tipp for all other persons, that doe not have access to FPM-Guru's:

Use the personalization of  FLUID to add the UI width to List UIBB schmea . Then at least all width settings can be changed quite fast.

Kind regards,

(another) Ulrich

p.s.: And still the settings just do not work:

In one actual list i entererd Width, all in em, but if i set a width of a column to 2em or 20em : No change at all in the application ( Config only, no customizing level, personalization switched off).  Some completely odd setting appars 😞

Already did that setting once, as it seemed to work and it took ages  , but after a change in apearance has been ordered i'm having to readjust it now:

Spending an hour just for some presettign of the appearance and it still does not work at all. 

And also having the fields in the list of the config ,entering is not fast. You need to click on every fielda at least 2times (if you use a pattern to skip always one row, becasue otherwise you need another click to get rid of the tooltip popping up)

0 Kudos

in IF_FPM_GUIBB_LIST~GET_DEFINITION method

ls_fields-name  = ' '."field name

ls_fields-width   = ' '.

APPEND ls_fields(structure) TO et_field_description.

Former Member
0 Kudos

push

Maybe someone has an answer now?

sven_fischer2
Explorer
0 Kudos

There is an Input Field for the width of UI element in the detail view of every column, at least with the ATS list UIBB.

Uli_42
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, but it works nearly never.

You can enter whatever you want -> reload, remove and disable personalization -> No changes after changing the width.

Only one time it seemed to  work .

😞