Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Parameter em/initial_size_MB

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I want to tune the memory parameter because on executing PT60 for 250 employee only it consume 97% CPU, some time Full CPU utilization. So I want to tune the memory parameters.

our OS : HP-UX 11.31

database : oracle 10

RAM : 8 GB

SWAP : 20 GB

When I check the OS kernet parameter, then the value for shmmax is 17179869184 and recommeded by SAP is 0x40000000000.

But problem is, when I change the em/initial_size_MB parameter value from 4092 to 16384 because em/blocksize_KB |8192

But the dispatcher is stopped , and error log is

shmget() of 17179869184 bytes failed

So please suggest

1. How to set the profile parameter em/initial_size_MB values as required (more than 4092)?

2. How to improve the performance.

Thanks

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

I set the Hp-UX kernel parameter value as per SAP NOTE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Please got through the following SAP notes which might be helpful or you in resolving the problem you are facing.

SAP Note numbers - 172747, 146289, 835474

Regards

Sourabh Majumdar

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thanks for reply.

When I check the work process status at the time of PT60 T.code execution no one workprocess go into the PRIV mode.

only the column TIME shown in red colour. But CPU utilization is very high 97% and some time full. In that concern

when I check the HP-UX 11.31 kernel parameter then some parameter is not set as per SAP recommendation.

shmmax is also one of them.

Server has only 8GB RAM and SWAP 20 GB, (SAP version :- ECC 6.0 R3).

On execution PT60 is execute only for 250 Employee it use high CPU Utilization.

So please suggest me how to solve the problem?

if I set the HP-UX Kernel parameter as per SAP NOTE then can it improve the performance?

Thanks

Ganesh

former_member709110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

for your questions ....

1. Plz check SAP Note 1154874 (Warning for em/initial_size_MB in 640 Kernel) might help (you haven't mentioned SAP version)

2. I am really curious how you figured out that CPU utilization is related to em/initial_size_MB, i thought if you have small extended memory , it would lead to process going into private mode. Is that your issue ?

Regards,

Neel