cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial number profile change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

This question is about changing serial number profile of a material.

I have two types of serial number profiles.

A- Mandatory serial number profile

B- Optional serial number profile.

I have few materials in production some with A and some with B serial number profile and some with blank.

1. What's the procedure to change the serial number profile from A (Mandatory) to B Optional?

2. What's the procedure to change the serial number profile from B(Optional) to B Mandatory?

3. As i know SAP doesn't support to change the serial number profile to blank, Is it correct? Can you please explain why?

I wanted to know if there is any impact from Inventory or logistics perspective for existing stock.

Thank you

Kris

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kris

Great question.

My general advice is any mid-stream change will have some repercussions sometime. So avoid it.

That said there would be reasons to change occasionally.

Required vs. Optional affect you during material movements and thus inventory only indirectly. The key point is the impact of stock check setting after the change.

For questions 1 and 2, simply change the Profile using MM02. But run program RISERNR9 if the stock check requirement has changed.

Also it is possible to take care of Serial Number-Stock inconsistencies with Physical Inventory check.

3. It is now possible to selectively (per plant) delete serial number profiles. In general you can't delete if you have materials with serial numbers already in the system ( most Likely case) because of the repercussion- what will happen. to the stock or serial numbers. In stead of deleting, I would recommend 2 options: a) Insert a dummy material with no business transactions under it.. b) configure exceptions for movement types, example Profile says "required' it is not mandatory movement 101 for example.

Check out the following OSS notes for some key clues to your questions. Some of them are for older release, but may hold good conceptually.

612132 - FAQ: Stock consistency between serial numbers and MM-IM

612118 - FAQ: Serial number update after goods movement

403404 - Plant-specific deletion of serial number profile

71997 - MM02 - Change/delete the serial number profile

148581 - Serial number master: Stock data cannot be changed

429070 - No required entry of the serial number for goods movement

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To change serial number profile is in material master. Pl. check Sales view from material master there you will get serial number profile. As you are changing from mandatory to optional or optional to mandatory at the time of delivery it will impact.

If you are changing it from mandatory to optional then at the time of delivery it will not ask you for serial number but if optional to mandatory then system will ask for serial number & it will not go ahead until & unless you enter serial number.

This is in case of Sales order.

If you are doing any stock transfer then I think you need to change the same profile in material receiving plant.

Hope this will help you

Thanks

Trupti