cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of local SLD to Central SLD on different host.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We have migrate the local SLD existing on the SAP PI System to a new Central SLD on a different host on SAP Solution Manager system.

I followed the OSS Note 720717, which contains the description of the changes that have to be exectued in the SAP XI/PI Environment, during the SLD Migration. This note does not give any details of the description of changes for the other SAP Systems such as SAP ECC, BI etc registered in the SLD.

Can anyone provide the OSS Notes, SAP Doc URL or the steps on how to migrate the local SLD existing on SAP XI/PI System to the new Central SLD on the SAP Solution Manager system.

Thanks for help in advance.

Best Regards,

Haleem

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Haleem

The notes below document the steps you need to take to move the SLD to your Solution Manager:

#720717 Reduce the number of System Landscape Directories (SLD)

#768148 Using a separate SLD for XI

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

So please correct me, if I am wrong.

To move the local SLD existing on PI System to another host (Solution Manager System), I have to do the following steps.

1- Install Central SLD on the Solution Manager host with SAPInst -> SAP PI Usage type

2- Apply note 939592 for movement of local SLD Configurations to CENTRAL SLD System, installed in the above step 1.

The note 720717 talks about reduction of SLDs, but does not speak about how to install Central SLD and then move the local SLD to this newly installed Central SLD.

Thanks for your help in advance

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes - although it might not use exactly the word "Central" SLD

The documentation at in particular the Planning Guides provide

all the sync options between SLDs

Alternatively you can test using 1 SLD for all clients, 2 SLDs for certain clients etc to see what works

- you have to be absolutely sure though that client or your own requirements are not conflicting and do not change after implementation and result in conflicts although there will always be ways to get around client/customer requirement conflicts for SLD - some workarounds may be very time consuming - including migration to local client specific SLD etc

Best wishes

Stuart

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Because I don't know enough about how each client uses the SLD and indeed the client or customer specific requirements for the SLD - I can't provide a complete recommendation in this case

Personally I would give each client their own local SLD including Solution Manager which should have the central SLD

and all local SLDs should sync to the central SLD on Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stuart Campbell.

Can you provide me the steps for synchronizing local SLDs with Central SLD (on Solution manager system)?

Is there any Documentation, notes etc on how to synch local SLD with Central SLD?

Thanks,

Haleem.

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Firstly

I recommend to avoid having 1 SLD for multiple clients - like Solution Manager, BI, ECC

This is because clients may end up having conflicting requirements for the same SLD

- for example the small user group for Solution Manager may have a flexible and easy going policy on J2EE downtime

- but if you take down the Solution Manager J2EE that houses the SLD and PI uses this SLD - then you could have a severe affect on PI useage

Secondly

Although you can migrate content - this still does not guarantee the target landscape will work

- you may still need to manually re-implement target landscape configuration

let me give you an example

SLD 1 is being moved to SLD 2

Portal 1 is pointing to SLD 1

Even if you migrate the content of SLD 1 - including the ECC and Portal technical system landscape information

Portal 1 is still pointing to SLD 1 - this then needs to be manually re-pointed to SLD2

and that might not be all the complete steps either !

The complete steps of migration from the client side may not be available (I have found only steps to

migrate SLD content not migrate client use of the SLD)

- they may only be available as the documentation for the original configuration steps required to step SLD and the client

- therefore when migrating SLD you must go through the client setup documentation for SLD and check your

target landscape is consistent

Lastly - other considerations include

Lets say you also export model and CIM content from SLD 1 to SLD 2 - this means SLD 2 has an import line from SLD 1

- if you decomission SLD1 then you need to switch the import line which is not recommended - this could cause severe problems and may require you to create a new import line to upload content from SAP /swdc (which you need to keep the SLD bug free and latest definitions)

Just a few thoughts on issues you may encounter

Best wishes

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Stuart Campbell.

So do you mean the best recommended approach would be to have Solution Manager system with a seperate local SLD

AND

SAP XI/PI System with a seperate SLD?

Then I have the following questions.

Option 1- Should I have Solution Manager with a seperate local SLD and

SAP XI/PI, SAP BW/BI and SAP ECC Systems on a seperate central SLD

OR

Option 2- Should I have Solution Manager, SAP BW/BI and SAP ECC Systems on a seperate central SLD and

SAP XI/PI on a seperate local SLD?

Can you please let me know, is it recommended to have central SLD on Solution Manager system or is it recommended to have central SLD on XI/PI System?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Regards,

Haleem

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

The notes describe the configurations required on the XI systems and on the central SLD host system (Solution Manager) to set up the connections between XI and the SLD.

For the content within the existing SLD, you will probably need to export the SLD content from the source SLD to import into your target SLD on Solution Manager.

Exporting and Backing Up Your SLD Information

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/48/b7bbe3e2c0356be10000000a421937/frameset.htm

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark for the update.

For the content within the existing SLD, you will probably need to export the SLD content from the source SLD to import into your target SLD on Solution Manager.

1- So if I export SLD Content from source SLD to import into my target SLD System, will it overwrite the existing configurations "OR" it will append to the existing configurations?

2- One more question, do I need to create a seperate namespace for importing the date of source SLD System into the target SLD System? "OR" I can use the same namespace of the target SLD System for importing the data of source SLD System?

Thank you very much in advance.