cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX DB 7.8 Strange issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Guys,

I am having windows 2003 X64 bit server. I was using MAXDB GUI 7.6 before. I uninstalled it and then installed 7.8. Now when I get into the Database studio I dont see anything in there. I dont know how to add the DB back in the DB Studio to manage it like start stop and checking the logs etc.

What I am missing here. Please advise.

Thanks

Shafquat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI there,

please check the docs/trainings/tutorials first!

E.g. [http://maxdb.sap.com/training/] Session 2: Basic Administration with Database Studio

After that you should be able to add and administer the 7.8 database.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response. I think I found the problem. Its java version. I am using 1.4.16 where as it requires >= 5. For this reason after the installation I just getting blank screen of DB studio and some options give me error message unsupported class version. What version of DBM Gui I can install that will work with 1.4.16 as I cannot change this version of Java because of some dependencies on the installed software.

Thanks again for your help.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Shafquat,

sorry, but there is no other option than to install a compatible java runtime on your computer.

DBMGUI (the old Visual Basic based tool) does not support 7.8 databases.

Anyhow, you can in fact install multiple Java runtimes in parallel on your computer.

All you've to do before starting DB Studio is to point it to the right JAVA_HOME (e.g. via change of environment variable).

On other thing: once you tried to start Eclipse (with is the framework for DB Studio) with the wrong java runtime, there will be some runtime files in the filesystem that wil prevent the usage of DB Studio, even if the correct java version is used afterwards.

Make sure to delete these runtime files before running DB Studio with the correct java version.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks a lot for all your help. I tested it with number of options and the only way it works is to install JRE 1.5 or higher and JAVA_HOME should point to it. Then it worked fine and no issues with it. I was able to add 7.6 databases too.

The only issue that I dont understand is why it didnt work on the same system where GUI 7.6 was installed. It installed another Xserver service. Even I added JAVA_HOME in the user environment variables it didnt work. I cannot change system as my J2EE engine was using another version of JRE. Is there any best and safe way for MaxDB GUI to work on the same system with leaving the old JRE intact.

Thanks for your help.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Lars,

> Thanks a lot for all your help. I tested it with number of options and the only way it works is to install JRE 1.5 or higher and JAVA_HOME should point to it. Then it worked fine and no issues with it. I was able to add 7.6 databases too.

> The only issue that I dont understand is why it didnt work on the same system where GUI 7.6 was installed.

Well, DBMGUI 7.6 and before were developed in Visual Basic. These version did not require any Java.

DB Studio in turn is based on Eclipse which is Java based - that's why you need to use a compatible version.

> It installed another Xserver service. Even I added JAVA_HOME in the user environment variables it didnt work. I cannot change system as my J2EE engine was using another version of JRE. Is there any best and safe way for MaxDB GUI to work on the same system with leaving the old JRE intact.

Of course!

As I already wrote, you can install as many Java Runtimes as you like on your computer.

When you really need to run DBStudio and your J2EE engine within the very same account, then you can still startup either of these two via a batch script (you know, these .bat files on Windows).

In these scripts you can easily set the JAVA_HOME environment locally and start any of your programs with the right one.

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)