cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy Error @ CreateDB using control.sql file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am doing A Homogeneous System Copy. I have installed DB and patched 10.2.0.2 as source is of the same level.

After DB Installation, restored DB , run the control.sql file and opened it. Recovered DB using this way: "Recover Database using backup controlfile until cancel;" and opened reset logs

Once DB is open, i continued other steps from the point Backup/Restore DB in sapinst. It said CONTROL.SQL file is missing, so i have placed the same in installation directory. In this step "CREATE DATABASE with control.sql file" it has been throwing me error: Ora-00265 instance recovery required, cannot set ARCHIVE log mode DB altered. DB Closed. DB Dismounted and DB Closed.

Could you please explain why it is asking for Archive logs and shutting down the DB.

Thanks,

Subbu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

well the copy guide says you have to do an OFFLINE backup.

So sapinst expects a restored database (from offline backup) with non existing controlfiles

and the need to do a CREATE CONTROLFILE ...

You already did that manually. You already opened the db...

So there is no way to run a CREATE CONTROLFILE with "SET database" (not sure

about the RESETLOGS in this case for a second time...).

I do not know what state your DB is in right now. If it is completely operational

and fully recovered and can be opened and shutdown normal, try to substitute

your control.sql with simply (copy the original content somewhere else)

alter database mount;

alter database open;

Repeat the sapinst step.

Depending on how far it put in the progress bars in the xml file, you might need

only one of those two statements in control.sql.

If the restored DB is not operational now, then the controlfiles might be garbled due to the

second try top create them from sapinst. Not sure what the situation is then.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you , I have skipped the step in sapinst as I have laready opened the DB and it went fine with out errors.

Thanks,

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subbu,

After DB Installation, restored DB , run the control.sql file and opened it. Recovered DB using this way: "Recover Database using backup controlfile until cancel;" and opened reset logs

I wonder y u have recovered and opened the database in between without letting the SAPINST to do that The actual procedure is to restore the data files and the backup logs and then create a script file control.sql in the installation directory and then allowing the SAPINST to proceed with the post processing.

Going through the sections Restoring Database Files on the Target System and Restoring the Database Files on the Target System with BRools will give u better idea on this.

Hope this helps and clarifies.

Regards,

Varadharajan M